Home gym

Options
Hi All,
I have been an avid gym goer for the last 5 years, however have lost my way the last 9 months.
I have gained weight and my diet hasn't been great. I'm dreading going back to the gym for a few reasons 1. I was the fit girl that went to the spin classes and out spun everyone, I was fit and strong 2. Embarrassed to go back when everyone knows me and u get oh your back oh u need to get back into training ( yes this happened when I went back a few months ago), 3. I'm time poor, I commute to work which makes my day a 12 hour day and the last thing I wanna do is drive past home to the gym. 4. Hate the meat heads in the weight area and I love doing weight type training. I'm sure I can come up with a few more reasons lol. I have just acquired a treadmill and I was thinking about buying a small multi station home gym, you know the ones that u can do pecs rows legs etc. my thought process is if I have it at home I can get up and do my work out before work ( my gym isn't open early enough). I was wondering if I used that in combination with the treadmill and diet if I would get the results ? I want to be toned strong and fit. Has any of you wonderful people done this and had good results ? What's the general opinion on this? My hubby thinks it's something that will be a novelty and can't see why I just don't make the effort to get to the gym. Help I'm so indecisive!
Thanks Kimmie

Replies

• IthacaNancy
    IthacaNancy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found Nintendo fitness games did the trick for me. I hated to go to the gym; I'm very home based. There are many options. I also use a Bellicon rebounder for my cardio and I have hand weights. But I love Pilates, so I found a great deal on a reformer/tower combo and I found a Pilates chair at a reuse store, and set up a studio in my home. I still go to the Pilates studio once a week for a class with an instructor, but I use PilatesAnytime and other videos, or combinations of exercises from Pilates books to make my own workouts. I like the variety and the focus. Good luck !
  • tcozadoh
    tcozadoh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands like Bodylastics. Comes with instructions and an App is available.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am completely home based for a vast amount of reasons. I have a treadmill for my cardio and the odd kickboxing workout, and I have hand weights and do an assortment of workout videos that focus on strength training. I love having everything available right in my living room. My next goal is to invest in a heavier weight set and a lifting program
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sort this out...

1 - Proper nutrition and honest/accurate logging will address this part of your statement/question: "I have gained weight and my diet hasn't been great.".

2 - Treadmill may or may not help in your cardio endeavors. Only if you want it to and use it as such. MANY other activities you can do along with or in place of. Depends on interests...

3 - Strength Training insights: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

A good/well-balanced combo of all of this that you refer to will help you. However, it sounds like you need a plan or to fine tune your focus.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use free weights. I have a bench n rack and bar and yoga mat. I use bench for dips, push-ups etc. we have an elliptical for cardio. I do follow a program but I've been adding a few more upper body exercises as I have a weak upper body and strong lower body.