2»

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    subcounter wrote: »
    jerb00 wrote: »
    I have been doing the sumo squat as my squat of choice and I have stalled. I decreased the weight and then tried to slowly add weight back in but I can never get beyond 55 lbs. I am 102 ish now, hip thrust 105, dead lift 95. Heck I can even bench press 55 which is nuts for me but I can't squat any heavier. I have to sumo squat cuz back, front, and lunges kill my knees (prolly from ballet dancing). Any tips to help me move forward? I do squat all the way down to the ground.

Sounds like you have mobility issues. Could be the hips, or ankles. I would do stretching on every session. As for what are you specifically doing wrong? Make sure to add a video link so we can have any idea.
    As for tips on the squat technique, you could watch this:

In recent months, AlanThrall has been coached by Dr. Austin Burocki who is under Mark Rippetoe. Alan now advocates and practices breaking at hips and knees simultaneously on low bar squats as well as looking only a few feet in front of the feet. I would strongly suggest disregarding the above video and view this one for correct form...

https://youtu.be/bbNA17KjBzU

Thanks for the update, gotta watch them nipple angles.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the sumo squat as my squat of choice and I have stalled. I decreased the weight and then tried to slowly add weight back in but I can never get beyond 55 lbs. I am 102 ish now, hip thrust 105, dead lift 95. Heck I can even bench press 55 which is nuts for me but I can't squat any heavier. I have to sumo squat cuz back, front, and lunges kill my knees (prolly from ballet dancing). Any tips to help me move forward? I do squat all the way down to the ground.

Sounds like you have mobility issues. Could be the hips, or ankles. I would do stretching on every session. As for what are you specifically doing wrong? Make sure to add a video link so we can have any idea.

In recent months, AlanThrall has been coached by Dr. Austin Burocki who is under Mark Rippetoe. Alan now advocates and practices breaking at hips and knees simultaneously on low bar squats as well as looking only a few feet in front of the feet. I would strongly suggest disregarding the above video and view this one for correct form...

What I took from the image: laser eyes and arrowhead nipples make for mutant level squats. We must breed Scott Summers with Dakota Rae. All of the world records shall be broken.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Squats but off topic.. has anyone seen the youtube vid of the guy doing heavy squats no hands while like pumping bicep curls and *kitten*?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Squats but off topic.. has anyone seen the youtube vid of the guy doing heavy squats no hands while like pumping bicep curls and *kitten*?

That sounds like something Bradley Martyn would do.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Yeah... thats the guy.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Just watched the second video yesterday and practiced without much weight then tried it for real today. Really made a difference. I felt better and like I had more power when I stood back up. Thanks!!
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options

Maybe I do. I mean, I am pretty flexible from dance and yoga but maybe it isn't the way inbred to be for proper squat form. I watched the video and I feel like my body moves similarly, but I'll post a video so I can get an objective opinion.

Yeah I'm also very flexible from pole dancing and yoga but wile dancing we point or toes right? We don't usually stretch the ankles in the way we need them to stretch when doing proper squats.. so many of us tend to have to work on that flexibility.
    at least I have to and many of my pole fitness/yoga friends have had the same problem.
    Ask a trainer to take a look at your form, I had to ask a trainer to look at mine and we saw that it was the ankle mobility that was keeping me from doing a proper squat... and that trainer has been training me for 3 months now and was surprised I had a butt wink cause he knew I was flexible. I just didn't bend that way.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Just watched the second video yesterday and practiced without much weight then tried it for real today. Really made a difference. I felt better and like I had more power when I stood back up. Thanks!!
    You bet.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Bradley Matyn is an imbecile. If you want to see crazy gym stuff then check out Tom Finn (Huckfinnbarbell). Latest videos include, stilt deadlifts, rollerblade squats and many more.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Bradley Matyn is an imbecile. If you want to see crazy gym stuff then check out Tom Finn (Huckfinnbarbell). Latest videos include, stilt deadlifts, rollerblade squats and many more.

Just talked to Finn on Saturday. I use to play beerleagur ball with him. Yah he is crazy fun.
  • madepetun
    madepetun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't squat normal. It hurts my knees.

I am doing strong lifts 5x5 but doing the sumo squat as my squat.

I sumo squat like yourself (inflexible hips!) I mix mine up and do paused ones (count to 3 at the bottom) or speed (slow down, fast drive up) I also find mixing in goblet squats have helped too.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not sumo, but for me a wider stance is best. I'm stronger and more stable.

It really comes down to how your hips are made... like made by God. :smile:

gr55ptnao89d.png