Hip thrust - glute activation

Options
Anyone else feel more glute activation with lower weight? I have been doing 105 with a barbell but feel so much more glute work 75lbs dumbells resenting on my hips. I have been doing hip thrusts modeled after SL5x5 but I am wondering if j really do need to continue to increase weight. I am feeling like as much as I try to use my flutes for this heavy weight I have no choice but to use my quads. Thoughts?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You can do them higher rep at lower weight as well, especially if you feel like you are getting more glute activation. I always did them between 3-5 reps heavy one day, and again later in the wee for 8-12.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i find it hard to 'feel' my glutes, and yup. for some things i also find that lower weight and a higher rep range gives me more time to find those muscles and consciously activate them. so for me that just works better, regardless of what works for another person.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    This is pretty normal/common.

For me, with heavier loads on hip thrusts, I find that other muscles will tend to help out the glutes to lift the load.. I think everyone has a 'sweet spot' where it isn't too light or too heavy where the glutes really get activated. But I will get mad DOMS the next day with heavier thrusts even though I don't feel that burn/contraction as much while doing them. With time and better glute activation (daily exercises, more mind-body connection, different types of thrust techniques etc) you may start to improve and feel it more as you increase the weight.

I also recommend switching up the rep ranges...for example, I do one day heavy low rep, one day medium higher rep, one day banded, etc. I also incorporate iso-holds, 1.5 reps, American style thrusts, band+barbell, single-leg to really get those glues going ;)
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Deadlifts helped with glute activation for me. I sit in an office chair all day, so my glutes have no reason to fire. I would use lower weights because at least for me, my more dominant muscles will take over lifting heavier weights to easy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's very common.

Hip thrusts, deads, glute ham raises, squats, etc...all of them can be troublesome to activate the glutes at first. As in any lift, as you get more experience you learn how to use better form.

Sometimes newer lifters have bad form because they increase weight too fast. If the body is struggling it will incorporate muscles to help as it breaks form.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I find doing x band walks beforehand really help with glute activation
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    With barbell, you need a long range of motion, having a bench on your back, for the hip thrusts. I wouldn't do heavy weights to begin with. You need to learn to activate your glutes specifically, feel them strain. I think its one of the best exercises for it too.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I do higher reps and lower weights. I also do "pulsing" ones with BD on hips - so not going all the way down and up- I clench the hell outta my butt and just kind of pulse the hips up and down. It hurts. it's good.
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you can’t feel an activation in the muscle,. it’s likely the weight is too heavy and therefore you’re using other muscles to support the main muscle. If you can’t increase the weight (whilst keeping your form) try to increase the reps or reduce rest in between sets. Although you’re following 5x5, it is a generic plan & you would benefit from changing it when need.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    You can also try single leg body weight. If you don't feel glute activation there you know you gotta start over as far as form goes
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I feel the most in my glutes if I hold isometrically at the top of the glute bridge, for as long as I can.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do feel the activation in the >75 lbs range, but higher than that I don't, so maybe it is a form issue. I'll try the tips you all suggested (minus the single leg cuz, while I intellectually understand their benefits, I hate them!!!).

Thanks all!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    I do feel the activation in the >75 lbs range, but higher than that I don't, so maybe it is a form issue. I'll try the tips you all suggested (minus the single leg cuz, while I intellectually understand their benefits, I hate them!!!).

Thanks all!

Yeah I hate them too. My coach suggested them and I said "NO".