Ricotta Cheese - Need Recipes!

Options
Hey All!

I just picked up some part-skim ricotta....I can figure out how to use it of course, but wondering if you have any healthy awesome recipes that use ricotta?

Thanks!

Alex

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I finally found they make fat free which I can eat YAY! So here is what I have been doing

1. On tortilla smear it and even added PB2 the other day. Heat for like 15 seconds...soooo good.
    2. Do in bowl heated with cayenne pepper

And some things want to try
    1. Apparently if you put on pita with tomato sauce kind of like pizza
    2. On toast like grilled cheese
    3. Some kind of pasta dish

I know these seem weird, but when your body can't process the fat from cheese and you find a substitute without the high-sodium of fat free cheeses....well its glorious
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Mix half cup ricotta with a sf ff cocoa packet and a tbsp of mini chocolate chips. Yummy and you'd never know it's cheese. You can also use it for veggie lasagna. Use thinly sliced zucchini in place of noodles- go easy on the cheese.
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mix ricotta with coffee with a bit of sucrose. Delicious.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do a baked herb ricotta thingy.

Put ricotta in a bowl.
    Add herbs of your choice.
    Put into cupcake tins (as many as you want/will fit)
    Bake at 180*C until set.

Serve with salad or vegetables
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can also use it in lasagne, or spread it on some crispbread and top with tomato, and whatever other savoury item you like, or you can make hotcakes with it, or you can do a myriad of other things with it. Try googling up some recipes and see what you like, be they sweet or savoury.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Protein cheesecake ... you can sub ricotta in all of these with fantastic results :D

http://chocolatechillimango.com/category/protein-cheesecake/#.UeumWVMmxFU
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick breakfasts:

- 1/3 C ricotta mixed with a little sweetener (I use a half packet of trivia
    - put that on top a toasted flax waffle
    - top the whole thing with strawberries

It's great when you're in the mood for a sweet breakfast, that still has good protein.
  • mp_deep
    Options
  • KatieJBush
    Options
    I made a yummy dessert with ricotta a few times. Cut a pear in half (long way) and scoop out the middle so it's like a small bowl.
    Bake in the oven until softer (I'm sorry I really don't remember the temperature or how long I baked it for, but I just checked on them every 10 minutes until they could be cut with a spoon)

While they're baking, mix ricotta cheese with cinnamon (to taste) in a separate bowl.

When you get the pears out of the oven, put the cheese mix into the little hole you dug out! It looks super fancy & is delicious!
  • mp_deep
    Options
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Bump to see more later
  • sassyd99
    sassyd99 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add some seasoned ricotta to scrambled eggs, yum!
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    toss with pasta and crushed tomatoes. Yum.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Mix it with peanut butter. I promise its delicious.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I make this once a week and it lasts me for three meals, 1/2 cup serving for 124 cals

saute 1/2 cup of onions, green pepper and mushroom in Pam, add 3 oz of shrimp or Morning Star Crumbles, add 1/2 cup of low fat skim Ricotta cheese and top with 1/4 cup of fat free mozzarella cheese.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hearty-vegetable-lasagna/

The other thing I do with cottage/ricotta cheese is spoon it with tuna onto leaves of mild-tasting greens and scarf them down between gulps of Rockstar.