Gluten free meals!!

Options
kmankley
kmankley Posts: 27 Member
I have a gluten allergy, but I am a broke college student. Anyone have any good recipies ?

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Arepas are a pretty good replacement for english muffins (a bag of masarepa/P.A.N. harina)(a fine type of corn mean) isn't too expensive - you just add water and a bit of salt, form into patties, and cook on stove for ~10ish minutes). (good with eggs, cottage cheese, tuna salad, etc on top).

\Edited to add: It'll be in the latin aisle.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Clif bars (They are ~$1 at my local grocery - $1.09 single bars/$11/box of 12) do not have wheat as an ingredient (at least the flavors I've bought didn't). Generally 250-270 calories per bar. They do have the "may contain traces" warning on them though, so if you are extremely sensitive to gluten be warned that these could have cross-contamination. They go well with yogurt.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    FYI @RaeBeeBaby ...Barley has gluten.
    I make my own granola. It makes a lot and lasts quite a while. If you have a bulk food store nearby you can buy just the amounts you need. Mine has a great GF section. I eat granola with yogurt and fruit most days.
    If you want to be healthful as well, skip the GF pasta and use a spaghetti squash. I eat half a squash for a meal (around 200 grams) and top with sauce and parm. (ready in 15 mins)
    I eat lots of salads topped with veggies and tuna, eggs or even diced deli meats.
    Grate some sweet potato (or regular potato) add some salt/pepper/garlic and fry it into a hash with some cooking spray, top with a fried egg and a little cheese.
    Breton came out with GF crackers that taste good and are priced like their regular crackers.
    If you like soup, I just made a 13 bean soup using dried beans, broth, some tomato, carrot and spices. It is full of protein and fibre and made me enough for lunches this week.
    Crock pots are great for cheap cuts of meat. Put it in the pot in the morning (with a little water, broth or diet coke) when you get home it will be super tender. Drain and add your favorite sauce and serve it with whatever you like. I recently discovered rice noodles (vermicelli) and it is really cheap here....almost ramen cheap.
    Stir fry is really popular at my house too. I get frozen veg cheap and pork stir fry strips for $3. A little ginger and soy sauce or other sauce of your choice and good to go. These are super easy to make extra as well...who doesn't like leftovers?
    If you buy what's seasonal and on sale you should do alright.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I have 2 friends that are GF, and if we do get togethers with other people I try and always make them a dish they can eat.
    Deviled eggs (or a version called Andalusian eggs), I do a lot of baked chicken, which can translate into so many things like pulled chicken, chicken with cheese and canned chiles, chicken with BBQ sauces (watch the ingredients). I'll second the search for paleo ideas (but feel free to add none paleo items as you want), and also add in keto as they stay low carb so many of their recipes are GF as well (just watch the macros/calories :smiley: ).
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    bulk low cost dead animals (pork, chicken) with some cheap veggies
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    FYI @RaeBeeBaby ...Barley has gluten.

Good to know! I really don't make it that often, but have thrown some in soup from time to time. Still learning here. I don't have celiac, but have found that I'm sensitive to gluten, wheat, soy and nitrates. Eating mostly whole foods and reading labels has become my new normal and has improved my overall health.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    bean thread stir fry is another favorite of mine. (The local burmese restaurant does a much better job than I do though).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I eat a lot of omelets (eggs in general), beans, rice and quinoa. A crock pot is a great thing to have, especially for a college student. There are so many gluten free options for soups and stews that can be made quickly in the crock pot. I make chili often and chicken breast in the crock pot with a jar of salsa can be used in so many ways, such as a burrito bowl with beans and rice like you would have at Chipotle or in corn tortillas as tacos. Keep corn starch on hand to use as a thickener in place of flour in sauces and gravies. I also eat a lot of sweet potatoes.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    kmankley wrote: »
    I have a gluten allergy, but I am a broke college student. Anyone have any good recipies ?

I found this blog a couple of days ago - not sure how "affordable" the recipes really are, but might be worth a look! Also check out BudgetBytes and Cooking on a Bootstrap - not specifically GF sites, but I'm sure many recipes can be adapted if they're not already suitable.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    eggs, beans and rice - cheap, nutritious, cheap, naturally gluten free
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Ujn8p9tGs

I recently tried that recipe. I liked it. I'm a huge soup fan since they generally are lower calorie and you can make them however you want :D
  • kmankley
    kmankley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Okay so I've been eating a lot of veggies and recently made a zucchini lasagna that lasting me quite a while! I haven't tried many of the recipies yet but I have a couple days off in the future and plan to try them out! Thanks for all the tips too!
  • keyka777rosco
    keyka777rosco Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi I have celiac too, I got diagnosed 7 years ago. feel free too message me anytime for recipes I tried alot of the brand's too all tell you which ones are good and gross lol
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Stir frys are also gluten free...just don't do them with noodles but over rice. Also kikkomans makes a gluten free soy sauce and you can get stir fry sauces that are gluten free.
    Homemade vegetable soups are also gluten free and very cheap...you can make batches and then freeze extra for a later meal.
    You can also buy gluten free self raising flour and whip up really yummy pancakes for breakfasts...the GF flour is also really good for making baked treats like a chocolate birthday cake or blueberry muffins or banana bread....making stuff from scratch is way cheaper than buying GF mixes.

• missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly gluten free AND mostly dairy free.. im not strict though. I eat a lot of the following:

Breakfasts:
    toast, omlettes, egg whites, meats, oatmeal baked with apple.. its like a mini apple crisp.

lunches:
    taco salad
    chicken salads of all sorts-tons of them.
    bbq chicken..
    fish and veg
    roasted beet salad..
    shish kabobs

Dinners:
    tons of rice
    stir fry
    roasts, chicken, fish again.. all meat basically.
    roasted potatoes.. veg

snacks:
    cheese strings
    tons of tuna.. you can get the snack flavor cans and eat on rice crackers.
    fruit
    nuts
    carrots lol
    boiled egg

Honestly im so bored of eating the same ol. I eat so many salads..
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    you can check out my pinterest profile, i have a few boards with gluten free stuff. some i just adjust as needed or inspire me to cool something similar. Look me up, runlikemascara
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Clif bars (They are ~$1 at my local grocery - $1.09 single bars/$11/box of 12) do not have wheat as an ingredient (at least the flavors I've bought didn't). Generally 250-270 calories per bar. They do have the "may contain traces" warning on them though, so if you are extremely sensitive to gluten be warned that these could have cross-contamination. They go well with yogurt.

Clif bars are made with commercially grown oats which are cross contaminated with wheat. This is not a safe food for anyone with Celiac.
  • JenGigglesGray
    JenGigglesGray Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please anyone feel free to add me.
    I'm learning to eat gluten free and lactose free now being tested for celiac . I could certainly use help.
    I'm finding a lot of trying gluten free trial and error, gross to tolerable items, lol. The lactose free I'm finding harder to avoid and find things I like.
    These posts have been full of info I didn't realize.
    I lost 40 lbs slowly last year and would still like/need to lose at least 30 more.
    I have other health issues as well.