Any ideas how to even out a high sodium diet?

Options
dawn_h_d
dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
I have issues with sodium and dehydration. The cardiologist has told me that I need to have a high intake of sodium, but not a specific amount. The doctor did tell me to drink Gatorade/Powerade, but they are so high in sugar that it seems counteractive. The Lo-Cal versions do not have any sodium in them, so that is not going to work.

Anyone have any ideas on how can I get more sodium and liquids without adding a lot of sugar?

(I did have a more descriptive version of this, but it wouldn't let me post it - so if you have other questions about the situation, please ask)

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Uh...salt water?
  • dawn_h_d
    Options
    That was one of those things in the long drawn out post I touched on. I cannot drink plain salt water. It has actually made me throw up in the past.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not so much in the summer, but in winter and colder weather I LOVE warm chicken or veggie broth with a little bit of soy sauce.

You could also just try drinking more water/tea/whatever, then try adding more soy sauce to food.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Invest in a juicer (Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer costs about $50 online and is really worth the money).

Start juicing vegetables a couple of times a day in addition to your regular meals. You will get the natural sodium from the veggies without adding any refined sugar or other artificial ingredients.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    That was one of those things in the long drawn out post I touched on. I cannot drink plain salt water. It has actually made me throw up in the past.

When I was a child we had to take salt tablets in the extreme hot summer. You may try taking them.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Here's a good article that talks about good foods that have naturally occurring sodium.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/02/25/8-high-sodium-foods-that-are-ok-to-eat/
  • dawn_h_d
    Options
    Thanks for all the help/ideas. That has been my black hole for the last couple years in wanting to lose weight, but now I WANT to, and feel motivated to do it :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Invest in a juicer (Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer costs about $50 online and is really worth the money).

Start juicing vegetables a couple of times a day in addition to your regular meals. You will get the natural sodium from the veggies without adding any refined sugar or other artificial ingredients.

This is not needed. By juicing, you strip out the fiber from the foods. Also, unless a person is diabetic, the sugars in fruits and veggies are not something to worry about when tracking food.

OP: maybe speaking with your doctor or getting a referral to a another professional (RD) to create a game plan.
  • mg234080
    mg234080 Posts: 29
    Options
    How about v8?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

This is not needed. By juicing, you strip out the fiber from the foods. Also, unless a person is diabetic, the sugars in fruits and veggies are not something to worry about when tracking food.

OP: maybe speaking with your doctor or getting a referral to a another professional (RD) to create a game plan.

For real. Because you could eg eat a crapton of Chinese food to get in your sodium; doesn't mean it's good for you. There's got to be some way of setting a min/max bar for the day, and better than worse sources.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    high sodium foods that i know of -

regular canned soup
    processed deli meats (sub sandwiches for example are good for that)
    table salt
    cheese
    salted nuts/ salted snacks like popcorn in the snack aisle
    regular (salted) butter
    barbecue sauce
    msg
    spices like seasoned salt, and other spices like bbq rub
    Subway has high sodium low calorie sandwiches
    sausage & ham & salted meat like brisket
    pork
    fast food like Kentucky Fried Chicken but Popeye's is the most salted.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can't seem to get in enough sodium. Seafood helps get my numbers up. Low calorie and tons of protein, too.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    high sodium foods that i know of -

regular canned soup
    processed deli meats (sub sandwiches for example are good for that)
    table salt
    cheese
    salted nuts/ salted snacks like popcorn in the snack aisle
    regular (salted) butter
    barbecue sauce
    msg
    spices like seasoned salt, and other spices like bbq rub
    Subway has high sodium low calorie sandwiches
    sausage & ham & salted meat like brisket
    pork
    fast food like Kentucky Fried Chicken but Popeye's is the most salted.

To add to this list....
    Pickles
    Cottage Cheese
    Canned Veggies (not my favorite)
    Soy Sauce
    Salted Nuts
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am planning to have corned beef and hash breakfast, it packs in a whopping 2800 grams of sodium. That should make up for my deficit this week, lol.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    ETA: self derp.

olives! cheese!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Uh...salt water?

drinking salt in water WILL make you throw up! DOHH :sad:

try things like oxo cubes(extra ones)soy sauce has a lot of sodium in label look and you will find!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Uh...salt water?
    No don't do that.
  • rockinchick221976
    rockinchick221976 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :happy: Do you like pickles, not sweet ones like bread and butter, but kosher, deli or pilish dills? They have tons of sodium but not much else, no suger and very low calories and they will make you so thirsty that you will atomatically drink more water. I love them, but have been trying to stay away because they seem to make me retain so much fluid and look very puffy. The puffiness goes away after a couple of days, but I hate feeling all bloated. Soy sauce and chicken broth do the same thing to me. try adding some soy sauce to your meals or drinking a cup of chicken broth with them. Good luck!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How about baked chips .....or make your own salted veggie chips with zucchini, sweet potatoes etc in the oven
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    By juicing, you strip out the fiber from the foods.

That's why a good, old-fashioned blender works well. Or one of the fancy ones with multiple blades. Instead of juice, you get a smoothie.