What can I do to stop feeling dizzy

Options
For the last few weeks I've been eating around 1200 calories, sometimes just below and sometimes just above.
I tried to stick to low carb and whatever but I decided I couldn't do it and eat a moderate amount now. I eat healthily but I don't understand why I keep feeling lightheaded and dizzy and I keep getting blurred vision.
I'm guessing it may because I'm eating less but it's still an okay amount of calories and I don't want to eat more, so does anyone know what I could do to stop it?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    You're a 19 year old female. Unless you are very very short or completely sedentary, I'm not sure 1200 cals is enough for you.

What are your other stats? Height/weight.

I get dizzy if I cut calories and/or sodium too low.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    How did you choose 1200 calories?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Possibly not enough salt, what are your sodium levels? Ate you eating enough for your activity level?.do you have low blood pressure?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I see from one of your other posts that you're currently 10.7 stone (150lbs), you want to lose 1.7 stone (24 lbs), and you're 5'3". I'm guessing you're not eating enough. 1200 calories/day is the bare minimum MFP recommends for women, and you've stated both here and in other posts that you sometimes struggle to eat 1200 cals.

When you went through MFP's guided setup, how many pounds did you tell it you want to lose per week?
  • ktrulez
    ktrulez Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Are you also light headed? 1200 is probably too low, added on the fact that without any physical activity your TDEE burns quarter of that easy. Revisit your diet plan/strategy.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Probably eating way too little and btw low carb is not necessary.

Vision issues is odd though - maybe you have a health issue and eating too little exaggerated it?

Maybe go see a doctor.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Unless you are very short 1200 calories is usually way too few calories.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Stop spinning. I won!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a doctor...
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Low sugar levels. Try eating fruit when this happens. I am the same.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just try an experiment. Eat more one day (say 1400 calories) and see if that resolves it. If so, then you know you aren't eating enough.

Feeling lightheaded and woozy when you first start a caloric restriction is somewhat normal. For instance, if you go from 2500 calories a day to 1200, you're gonna feel it. Your body is used to one sugar level and now it has to adjust to much lower. But that should even out in a week, if it's a sugar issue. 1200 calories is not a lot of food. I am a 53 y/o female who could barely do it (and that was with no exercise). There were plenty of times during the day that I started feeling spacey and out of it. Not a good feeling. At 19, your energy requirements are likely to be even more than mine were so 1200 is probably pretty hard on you.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I also think you should try eating more. And low carb is not necessary especially if it makes you feel bad.

That being said, I was having almost constant dizzy spells with a few that felt like I was about to black out. I went to the doctor (as you should), and the dizzy spells were from a sinus infection with fluid in my ears. I have also since found out that I have reactive hypoglycemia which causes me to have dizziness AFTER eating sometimes so now I have to watch what I eat and when.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    One of the side-effects of a low carb diet is dizziness. But other things can cause it too. It doesn't take long for your body to metabolize carbs, so if you are feeling dizzy you might try eating a spoonful of sugar. If the dizziness goes away within about thirty minutes or so, then that would support the idea that the low carb diet is the problem. If it doesn't, then it is almost certain that there is something else going on.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I had dizziness episodes when I tried eating a 1200 calorie diet years ago. As soon as I bumped my calories back up to a more reasonable amount, it stopped.
    That would be the first thing I'd try, if I were you. Sounds like you aren't eating enough to fuel your daily activities and it's catching up to you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You were eating lower carbs but are now back to moderate carbs but you are still doing lowish calories at 1200.. You don't want to eat more to see if that this is causing your symptoms.

So what's left to try? Go see your doctor.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The blurred vision part is concerning. I'd eat at maintenance beginning today and if there were any more incidents at all, I'd consult my doctor immediately. If it completely resolved, I'd continue but raise my calorie and carb level, monitoring myself carefully to find the proper balance. In any case, it is best to seek medical advice from a doctor to rule out underlying issues.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Are you on BP meds? I had dizzy from low blood pressure. After losing weight my BP dropped like a rock.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Please seek medical attention. This may be diet related or may be something else altogether. Those symptoms are very serious. Wishing you well.