The last 20lbs

Options
Hi all!
I have lost 36lbs on MFP and I currently have about 20lbs left to lose to be at my goal weight. I've been at the same weight for 3 weeks now and it's really demotivating me.

I'm 5'3 and currently 145lbs. I want friends who are in a similar boat and have the last little bit left to lose as I'm really struggling with this last 20lbs! I usually run for 40 minutes 3 times a week but I didn't last week and I won't be this week as I've done something to my hip and I need to see a doctor. Other than that I'm very sedentary so I eat 1200 calories a day.

Advice is also much appreciated!

Replies

• youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    A stall on the scale every so often is usual. Sometimes I go a month with nothing happening and then -- boom! -- I'll go down 2 lbs one day, 1 lbs the next, and 2 more the following week. It all evens out in the long run. I get it's frustrating ... Just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get to where you want to go.
  • scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi I've got about the same to lose, I lost it last year then unfortunately it's back on. I'm using this app as it's the best way for me. The only thing is one 1200 calories I always feel hungry! I do a lot of long distance walking for exerise. I'm a 5ft female. :smiley:
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
  • x_kellybigbelly
    x_kellybigbelly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I am exactly the same!! I'll add you now!! :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Don't you just love plateaus?! lol I've realized the smaller you get the slower it seems the weight loss. I'm the same - I have about 20 lbs to lose. I was at a plateau for several weeks and I can tell you what helped me - drinking tons, tons, tons of water (upped my water), adding in a high calorie day once a week (my body adapted to eating at a deficit for so long-like a reset) and the most important for me I upped my calories because I realized it's not a race and that I will just lose the last little bit slower and that I need the fuel for my workouts (I felt too tired to workout on a lower calorie deficit). *Also I am taking a month off from weighing myself because I am eating well and kicking butt in the gym so I don't want to get discouraged. I will weigh myself at the end of February and reassess at that time. It's all trial and error. Everyone is different but this was my experience. Never give up
  • jchromz
    jchromz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you consider switching up your routine? Do sprints instead of just 40 minutes of running, add a hill into the workout to challenge yourself or and some abs and lunges. Look at your macros. You can tweak things a little there, make sure you're getting enough protein. It may serve you to look at your calories from a macro stand point and you can manipulate how mfp calculates how your quota for those for free if you go to consult a free macro calculator for what your carb, fat, and protein intake should be to reach your goals. I know a lot of the articles are geared toward people who want to build muscle but it can also aid in weight loss. Clearly you know you're body best and you've already made lots of progress so kudos to you for that. Through tough times like thess you can suffer through the plateau which if you're sedentarty might work better than taking a week to eat more and then go back to your stricter diet again.
    Some useful tools when you get stuck if you are or decide to count your macros:
    https://healthyeater.com/out-of-a-macro
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html
    https://breakingmuscle.com/fuel/eat-what-you-want-your-macros-and-the-truth-about-carbs

• lehach1
    lehach1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with jchromz. Seems like you need to switch up your routine by increasing intensity and frequency and up'ing your protein (as pure and clean as possible, like through shakes, drinks, yogurt, etc.) and water consumption. Consider adding in some strength training too, which unlike running burns more calories and burns them for as long as 24 after your work out (that's where the extra protein will come in handy). I have switched over to watching marcos and it takes some practice to get it right so give yourself some time to adapt to it. I'm doing 40% protein-30% carbs-30% fat. Been running for a while so I know how important that is to your overall health, but change is good!!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You'll get there, don't give up!! I'm 5'3 and went from 250 to 130 (so far), the last twenty go a bit slower, but they go. Maybe change up your exercise routine, push a little harder or differently.
  • sunny_d22
    sunny_d22 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I'm working on losing 10-12 more pounds and I know that it will be slow. I have to be patient and know that if I'm hitting my calorie goals the scale will move eventually. It can be frustrating / discouraging to be working so hard and not seeing the scale move!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Looking to lose 20 more also! Feel free to add me!