Excercise, weight gain, and 'Under Armour calorie adjustment'

Options
spas2k
spas2k Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question about the 'Under Armour calorie adjustment' and those who have more experience working through this. I gained 1 pound last week, even though I had a deficit every day. I also tend to eat the same foods at the same time. I understand I should be patient as it could be water but my question lies in this situation. I use an android watch that is synced to MYP which calculates my 'UACA' based on my activity and steps.

Saturday I ran 6 miles in about an hour. I then lifted weights shifting between some heavy slow sets and some fast super sets of varying exercises, for about ~45 min. 'UACA' said I burned 2,297 calories that day. This sounds about right as the run itself burned at least 1000 calories and we went walking around later that night. It might be a little high but how can you really tell? I went through the rest of the day, eating as usual, eating as planned with an emphasis on more protein. The issue was that I wasn't hungry at night and MFP said I needed to eat 2300(!) more calories to even everything out. But I wasn't hungry and I didn't want to eat another few thousand of calories because 'MFP' said I needed to. Plus it's hard to try to eat 366g of protein!

That being said, the next day I didn't lose a SINGLE 1/10th of a pound even though I had a huge deficit. WTF. I guess my question is, should I trust the 'UACA' and just eat to reach the goals or should I trust the feeling of my body? I was hesitant to simply dump protein shake down my throat because I'm afraid the UACA isn't correct but at the same time some people claim they need to "eat more" to lose weight on certain days.

Any comments from those that are trying to lose weight but also "train" pretty heavily and how you dealt with lots of exercise and balancing that out with caloric intake?

Side bonus question, what is the best way to use MVP with runkeeper(or strava) and UACA so they don't overlap? I tend to have to delete one or the other because the UACA doesn't seem to sync with Runkeeper so they tend to double up on each other.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are expecting to see 1/10 of a pound difference because of a calorie deficit the previous day then you are tracking much too closely. It takes a couple of days for your body to process the food that you eat, so it is pointless to look at weight differences for a period of less than two days. A week works well most of the time, but sometimes you need as much as a month for the fluctuations to settle.

It isn't unusual to burn a lot of calories and not feel particularly hungry afterward. If you are feeling okay otherwise, I wouldn't worry to much about it. I find that my friend hunger tends to show up the day after I burn a bunch of calories.