This makes me sad...

Options
I have lost about 20 lbs give or take a few. Since February this year, I have lost 22 inches total. I should feel proud, accomplished, and confident in myself. I look on the web to compare my measurements with other women my height and measurements, and I think those girls are pretty, most of them are really HOT!! But I look in the mirror and think I'm still fat, I'm still flabby, I'm still gross. Every one says to take your pictures and measurements and so I have been. But I can't see a difference in the pictures.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Lift!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've been trying. I seriously cannot afford a gym membership right now and don't have very heavy weights. I have 14" dumbbell bars and 30 lbs of plates. I've been using these with my workouts since April or May. I don't have any spare money to invest in more equipment. I have the Chalean Extreme DVDs, have finished the first phase, and cannot see a difference at all. I had hoped that having a coached routine would help me see a difference. I do plan on finishing it out, I am not giving up after just 30 days. I just wish I could see something happening.

I guess this sounds like an excuse. I really just needed to vent to someone who wouldn't look at me like I've lost my mind and say "Oh you look fine!". As soon as I get more funds freed up, I do want to either buy more equipment, or get a membership somewhere with a well equipped weight room.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    It sounds like you are being too hard on yourself. And considering the amount of weight/inches you have lost (CONGRATS!), it seems like the isssue is more psychological. You should be very proud of your accomplishments.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Thanks Jess. I appreciate your kind words and feedback.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Since losing weight have you changed bras yet?

If not go to a store that will actually measure you - you might be very pleasantly surprised to see that you are wearing the wrong size now and a new bra will really help show off the hard work that you've done.

I went to a store today thinking I was one size and was amazed to find out my band size was four inches smaller than I thought it should be and my cup size was much bigger.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning (google it) I hear is a body weight strength program that gets progressively harder--- Maybe this (or something like it) is something you could try until you get your gym membership.
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options
    It sounds like you are being too hard on yourself. And considering the amount of weight/inches you have lost (CONGRATS!), it seems like the isssue is more psychological. You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

Agree. I am looking at your picture right now and what I see is beautiful.
  • Exotl
    Exotl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. It's 9.99 on the iTunes Store and requires zero equipment. It really helped me tone up after losing 30+ lb.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    No, I have not changed bra sizes yet. I know I need to, my current bras are just slipping and sliding everywhere right now. I need to call around and see which places offer fittings in my area.

VJohn, someone else (can't remember who) suggested this book. I wonder if they have it at my library, I would like to look at it and the NROL4 W before I actually buy them. I'll check the library website and see if its there.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning (google it) I hear is a body weight strength program that gets progressively harder--- Maybe this (or something like it) is something you could try until you get your gym membership.
    This or "your body is your own gym" body weight exercises are great for those with limited access to weights. I fact there are those who prefer it over weights.
  • Maracuya77
    Maracuya77 Posts: 23
    Options
    You are a masterpiece in God's eyes. Don't worry about everyone else. Just let your inner beauty radiate, and it will translate. I have a hard time with this too, I compare myself A LOT, and I shouldn't. I think you look beautiful, and since we can't look and be like everyone else, we just have to learn to love ourselves by knowing that we are a masterpiece. It's what has helped me, honestly. Everything else is 'extra'. If I want to get in shape, it's not to attract men or to get attention, it's for my health. Don't worry about chest size, hip size, butt size, all that. Just do it for your health, and realize you're perfect and beautiful , plus or minus a few pounds.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Btw you do look amazing.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I have heard the same thing about CC. It's getting quite popular.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    This is why I love this forum. In real life, people look at me like I'm crazy for changing my lifestyle. When I have a down day, they are very flippant about it, but here you all understand and can give encouragement and advice. My library doesn't have the CC book, but can order it from another library for me. Hopefully it will be here in a week or so.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well, you could go look at pictures of obese people and compare yourself to them and say "I used to be like that. " or you could look at pics of your old self and compare to now and say "i used to look like that". "but I'm not like that now"

just compare your pic to mine and you might be encouraged,, because mine is the face of obeseness!

(im not necessarily putting myself down, but just being real.)
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The picture in my head stays about the same, whether I am bigger or smaller.what YOU see is maybe a reflection of what your mind perceives. Body image issues are powerful things, and adjusting your head takes TIME. Keep working out. Look into some affirmation work to change the voice/mental images.you are receiving that are no longer correct. When you can afford to, buy clothes that fit properly.

One day, you'll be walking next to a store window and not recognize yourself. That's when the magic starts to happen in your head.

Hang in there.