Abs please

Options
I really need to get some opinions. Some people say you can spot reduce using specific exercises (ab exercises) and some say you cannot. What do you think? I'm really in need of suggestions for losing my tummy! TIA

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can however improve the appearance of certain areas by working on them. I find core exercise in the form of pilates helps me "reshape" my waist the best. But overall, only losing fat will achieve the look you want, and you can't spot-lose fat. It comes off where it wants to, for many of us, the tummy is last.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce; fat comes off as it pleases...usually from everywhere evenly...but for some of us it comes and goes from the booty first. You can do strength training to build muscle in your tummy, but you still wont be able to see the cuts until you lose the fat...you might be able to build muscle that supports you better creating a smaller waist line but that's not because you 'spot reduced' the fat...its because you built the muscles...that being said, do lots of planks:
    Make sure you are pulling your belly button toward your spine and tilt your pelvis back/curl your tail bone under, don't let your belly push forward. High plank, low plank, high side, low side, then back to high and lift your foot on each side for as long as you can. Start by figuring out how long you can hold each before you drop, then hold for that long and increase by 5 seconds or so every few days. Spend 10 minutes every day doing planks and you will build strength in your core.
    Yoga and plates will also do a pretty decent job to build core strength and improve posture. good luck.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can, however, build your abdominal muscles so that when you do lose enough fat for them to show they'll be there waiting for you. The added benefit is that the more muscle you build on your body (no matter where it is located) the more calories your body will burn doing every day activities. So whether or not you just want to lose a pudgy midsection or not, do work on your core while you eat at a deficit and lose weight overall to reduce fat. The midsection will likely be the last place you lose fat, so you'll probably need to hit a 20 or 21 BMI to lose the belly fat. Until then work those abs!
  • rajeshvvcool
    rajeshvvcool Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I really need to get some opinions. Some people say you can spot reduce using specific exercises (ab exercises) and some say you cannot. What do you think? I'm really in need of suggestions for losing my tummy! TIA

Spot reduction of fat is a myth. If you want abs then I would suggest you to consider the cutting and lean bulking approach unless you are a complete beginner.

I have had pretty good results with what I have stated.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10511781/fat-to-fit-6-packs-just-2-inspire/p1
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm really in need of suggestions for losing my tummy!

Get into a slight calorie deficit. :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says that you can target fat with a specific exercise doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

The belly in particular tends to be primary and deep fat stores for many people...primary fat stores are going to be first on, last off.