body fat percentage: how to drop it?

Options
I'm 5'11", 165 lbs, and 17.8% body fat. I want to gain 10 lbs of muscle and drop to about 10 to 12% bf. How can I do this? I'm eating more calories than burning and a lot more protein. Is there a trick to weight gain with low bf %?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your goals are conflicting...you need to cut to reduce BF%...if you're eating more calories than you're burning and following a good progressive lifting program, you will put on lean mass...but you will also put on fat.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your goals are conflicting...you need to cut to reduce BF%...if you're eating more calories than you're burning and following a good progressive lifting program, you will put on lean mass...but you will also put on fat.

That;s certainly the easiest and generally the most effective.

You could recomp - eat at maintenance while training properly - and accomplish your goals, but it would take exponentially longer and is usually harder on people mentally because of the immeasurable nature of the progression.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Either recomp or cut/bulk cycles. If you do a cut/bulk, if recommend doing the cut first. Typically you do t want to bulk until youre at your desired body fat %
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    In general...and I do say in general because there are always exception to the rule...to gain muscles, you need to be in a caloric surplus which will also cause you to gain some fat along the way....to be lean, you need to be in a caloric deficit, in return, you will either maintain or maybe lose a little bit of muscles along the way....or you can do recomp like others are saying, but personally I don't like recomp, the progress is way too slow for my liking.

Also, recomp is going to be more productive if you're already fairly lean...trying to significantly lean out with a recomp is going to take eons.

I think recomp is fine if you're already fairly lean and just looking to develop a fitness body...it's not particularly beneficial for cutting a lot of fat or packing on mass...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Take drugs.