Plant-based Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    fbazaldua wrote: »
    Try Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" book, and Dr. Michael Greger's "How Not To Die". Excellent research-based books on the myths we've been taught regarding animal protein, and why you should be eating a mostly plant-based diet for long-term weight loss and disease prevention/reversal.

"I am looking for advice from those who have tired diets like this: recipe suggestions, tips on sticking to it...really anything? Did it make you feel more energetic? Was it harder to feel full and stay full?"

Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" has a lot of information that would be useful in your husband's nutrition class, and everything you're looking for in terms of recipes, tips, and suggestions. I will tell you that as begin to lose weight quickly and effortlessly you will be motivated to stick to the plant-based lifestyle. Embracing a plant-based lifestyle you can eat all you want, feel more energetic, and any inflammatory diseases (hypertension, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, coronary artery disease, arthritis, etc.) will be better managed and eventually disappear. Additionally, you will significantly decrease your risks for heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and many forms of cancer.

If you eat too many calories you'll gain weight, regardless of what foods you're eating. Also, there's numerous people who are in excellent health and eat meat-cutting it out doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be healthier or have medical issues/diseases dissappear.

I didn't see that. So does that mean that plant based diet make autoimmune diseases (since they involve a lot of inflammation) disappear? Wow all the hard working research scientists are wasting their time trying to find cures.

I thought only keto cured those things...

Funny how vegan and keto are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum and they both argue that their diet cures everything and that they're the healthiest thing in the world and everyone else is a big fail...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    fbazaldua wrote: »
    Try Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" book, and Dr. Michael Greger's "How Not To Die". Excellent research-based books on the myths we've been taught regarding animal protein, and why you should be eating a mostly plant-based diet for long-term weight loss and disease prevention/reversal.

"I am looking for advice from those who have tired diets like this: recipe suggestions, tips on sticking to it...really anything? Did it make you feel more energetic? Was it harder to feel full and stay full?"

Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat To Live" has a lot of information that would be useful in your husband's nutrition class, and everything you're looking for in terms of recipes, tips, and suggestions. I will tell you that as begin to lose weight quickly and effortlessly you will be motivated to stick to the plant-based lifestyle. Embracing a plant-based lifestyle you can eat all you want, feel more energetic, and any inflammatory diseases (hypertension, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, coronary artery disease, arthritis, etc.) will be better managed and eventually disappear. Additionally, you will significantly decrease your risks for heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and many forms of cancer.

If you eat too many calories you'll gain weight, regardless of what foods you're eating. Also, there's numerous people who are in excellent health and eat meat-cutting it out doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be healthier or have medical issues/diseases dissappear.

Agreed. I was eating clean vegetarian for 2 years and was 275lbs. Calories matter.
  • slatkabundeva
    slatkabundeva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eating a plant based diet, even if not every day is so much better for the environment and can be for your health depending on what you eat, some things like sugar, oil, are plant based but obviously high calorie. I have been vegan since I was 16, here are examplea of simple meals I have been eating,

Somen (Japanese noodles), with kale, peas and thai peanut sauce (annie chun brand, 60 cal tb or you can use broth or soy sauce for lower calories.

Spaghetti with black beans, red sauce, carrots.

Baked enchiladas with sweat potato, bean filling, or whatever veggies you like!

There are so many recipes online, just depends on what flavors or foods are your favorite to base them off of.
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried eliminating cheese and dairy out of your diet completely or trying a completely vegetarian diet--you really need to. It's been around 10 years or more as a vegetarian, most as an egg-free vegetarian, and many days without dairy products. We do not need them as humans and crave cheese because we are constantly putting that crap into our body.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, you could always try it out and see how it goes. As long as you are getting enough protein (so you don't lose too much lean mass while you drop the weight) I can't see why it would be a bad idea to at least try it out. You might end up liking it.
  • HappyPhantom10
    HappyPhantom10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian and partially vegan for 3 months now and I feel so much healthier and I have a lot more energy and I've noticed some weight loss (bonus!). What has really helped me through this is YouTube videos because there are several people who are vegan who post recipes and offer advice and tips. Here are a few usernames you can look up: Sarah's Vegan Kitchen, Cheap Lazy Vegan, Edgy Veg, and Fablunch just to name a few. You can change up their recipes if your not ready to go vegan. Also Pinterest is great for recipes and a group called: Vegan Vegetarian Support Group on Facebook has helped me too. I hope this helps!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hubs is a vegetarian (was raised mostly veg), and I'm heavily plant based. Like cwolfman, I tend toward sustainable seafood. I'd say I have red meat once or twice a month. (yesterday I had one slice of cheese, an egg, and 10 small shrimps, otherwise all plant foods. Today will look the same, substitute 4 ounces of chicken).

And, yes, I've read China Study, and Fuhrman's books, and, Atkins book, South Beach (which is basically a codification of the Mediterranean diet, and is very much close to my eating style) and, and and and and. Fbazaldua, you'll find that many of us here have done quite a bit of our own research, AND experimenting for ourselves.

I think there's much benefit to eating LOTS of plant foods, including nutrients and feeling "full" because of the water and fiber. I won't comment on Campbell's studies other than to say they've been critiqued more thoroughly than a Michael Moore documentary, and his work just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I think Pollan's ideas of thinking of animal protein as more of a side than the thing that fills the plate, makes sense to me FOR ME as well.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hubs is a vegetarian (was raised mostly veg), and I'm heavily plant based. Like cwolfman, I tend toward sustainable seafood. I'd say I have red meat once or twice a month. (yesterday I had one slice of cheese, an egg, and 10 small shrimps, otherwise all plant foods. Today will look the same, substitute 4 ounces of chicken).

And, yes, I've read China Study, and Fuhrman's books, and, Atkins book, South Beach (which is basically a codification of the Mediterranean diet, and is very much close to my eating style) and, and and and and. Fbazaldua, you'll find that many of us here have done quite a bit of our own research, AND experimenting for ourselves.

I think there's much benefit to eating LOTS of plant foods, including nutrients and feeling "full" because of the water and fiber. I won't comment on Campbell's studies other than to say they've been critiqued more thoroughly than a Michael Moore documentary, and his work just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I think Pollan's ideas of thinking of animal protein as more of a side than the thing that fills the plate, makes sense to me FOR ME as well.

That's how I look at meat too :) I have 4-6 ounces a day (usually chicken), and then focus on other things to make up the rest of my calories.