Results?

Options
Just wondering - how long did it take everyone to start noticing any results?

I'm going on my third week. About 15. minutes first thing in the morning on my elliptical plus alternating upper and lower workouts. ( total 45 min.) I also go out on my lunch hour for a brisk 20 minute walk. I don't see any changes, the scale or the way my clothes fit. Am I being inpatient?

Thanks
Sophie (M.O.B in 4months)

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You'll see the most difference from eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise can help with that, but many people find that it is easier to control how many calories they eat than it is to create that deficit strictly through exercise. If you aren't already, accurately logging your food is the best place to begin.

edit: and congrats on the wedding!
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I personally never notice results. The only way I can tell is from my pants and progress photos which I try to take every week. However, it can take me up to 3 months to see anything significant at all. I try to also take measurements every week to reinforce any changes.

I can see from photographs of me from the past few years how my body has changed but there needs to be significant lumps of time between them to really get it. I know this isn't what you are looking for but seriously patience is importance.

My only other advice would be to make sure you are weighing all your food as measuring it can be really inaccurate. I also personally weigh myself every day and on my weekly weigh ins track my average weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight right away on the scale...but a lot of aesthetic physical changes took months, and now years as my body continues to change. My clothes didn't really fit any different for months as much of my initial weight loss was from my extremities.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've read "Burn the Fat, Feed the muscle". and have done some online research on calorie intake for my age, height etc. etc. and i should stay at 1400 - 1600 so I hover around 1500.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Are you in a deficit?
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It probably will also depend on how much you have to loose. A lot and it seems to take time because its small bits off over a larger surface area, a little and it seems to take even longer as margin for error with food is smaller.

If you went from nothing 2-3 weeks ago to your daily program of exercise a loss can certainly still be masked by water retention due to the new exercise.

It will really depend on how accurate you are with your food, for me when going from zero to hero (from the see food and eat it to tracking/weighing food with daily exercise it took over 2 weeks to see a change). Best results for drop in scale were about week 4-10 and then my dedication dropped and so did results. I lost roughly 10% of my weight in 12 weeks and for me that was enough to see a really good difference. But again it was hard to see week to week, teh program I was doing encouraged measurements/photos every 4 weeks.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I didnt notice any results until I started tracking calories and was eating in deficit. In fact, with exercise alone, I gained 2 lbs from eating too much. Once I changed my diet, I saw results quick and lost 30 lbs in 90 days. If you want to lose weight, you need to track what you eat and stay within your calorie limits. I didn't eat back my calories burned either.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    DancingMoosie

Are you in a deficit?

I don't know. I've been racking my brain trying to figure how many calories to eat. MFP says 1200, weight lifting /strength training sites say 1500-1600. So I don't know what to do???

Thanks everyone
    Sophie
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    MFP accounts for exercise separately. Exercise must be entered manually (or via activity tracker) and then it will adjust your calories - probably close to a number found on other sites. The best way to know if you're in a deficit, is usually just to watch the scale for a few weeks.

Also, a scale to weigh food is very helpful in eliminating inaccuracies, especially if you're not seeing any weight loss.