Cramp! Cramp!

Options
I took up jogging. I've been jogging 0.75 miles at 5mph and walking 0.25 at 3.5 mph twice a week for two weeks. It's been going well. Except today I had a cramp so bad I had to stop altogether. It was on my right side, just under my rib cage. What happened? How do I make it stop?

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do you mean a side stitch? this used to happen to me when i first started.It was caused by going faster than i should have. If it happens again,slow way down and it should subside. Also taking nice,long,fast breaths helped me.Now i barely get them, but if i do, they go away fairly fast.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, sounds like a side stitch to me! I get them too. I find it helps to really concentrate on my breathing, in through the nose, out through the mouth.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Form and hydration. Form and hydration. (waves banner from years of competitive running) Keep your back straight, your shoulders straight, your arms loose. That'll stretch out your abdomen and allow you to take deeper, more effective breaths. The 'in through the/out through the' is a myth - just take breaths in whatever fashion allows you to take the deepest, most effective breaths.

Seriously, form and hydration will solve just about all cramping problems. Especially side stitches! Haven't had one since the mid 90s when I figured out proper form and got hydrating. :)
  • bembo1980
    bembo1980 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wendsg wrote: »
    Form and hydration. Form and hydration. (waves banner from years of competitive running) Keep your back straight, your shoulders straight, your arms loose. That'll stretch out your abdomen and allow you to take deeper, more effective breaths. The 'in through the/out through the' is a myth - just take breaths in whatever fashion allows you to take the deepest, most effective breaths.

Seriously, form and hydration will solve just about all cramping problems. Especially side stitches! Haven't had one since the mid 90s when I figured out proper form and got hydrating. :)

This. I run regularly and notice that if I haven't hydrated properly I end up with a stitch.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Take more Mg, Iron and Potassium. It should help
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Stop being weak.