When to up the weight?

Options
How long do I keep lifting my current weight? I squat 3 sets of 10 at 95 lbs and dead lift the same. I bench press 3 sets of 5 at 95 lbs as well... I do this 3 times a week and for about 3 weeks now. It's not easy by any means, I think I could squat more and dead lift more but I don't have a spotter during the day and I'm scared I'll smash myself going heavier but I'm also cheating myself out. Any advice would be appreciated

Replies

• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be lifting the same weight/reps/sets each week. You need progressive overload, which can be adjusted by adding intensity or volume.

Can you give me a example please?
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be lifting the same weight/reps/sets each week. You need progressive overload, which can be adjusted by adding intensity or volume.

Basically either up your weight every week or up the number of reps you do every week, or do some combination of both. Even if you don't have a spotter, you should be squatting in a cage so that if you do fail there's something there to catch you
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »

Basically either up your weight every week or up the number of reps you do every week, or do some combination of both. Even if you don't have a spotter, you should be squatting in a cage so that if you do fail there's something there to catch you

We just have a bench and I'm just using the barbell. So I'm trying not to go to heavy until we can get the cage bought.
  • ryanboriskin
    ryanboriskin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great work!! I'm going for it too and just think it takes a good 6-8 weeks for results. I haven't upped my weight or reps but the volume is high every workout. It is definitely working stick with it you sound like you're killing it!
  • spiveaa
    spiveaa Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goal. For me I am trying to grow. So if I can complete a (example) set of 10 reps and did it with out blowing a vein, I would increase the weight 5lbs. I keep increasing the weight until I start to struggle with getting in 8 reps. Once I find that weight, I stay with it until 10 reps become easier and then increase again. Now if you are just trying to maintain your body and not increase in size, maintaining the weight is good with your reps, I would suggest that you mix up you exercises, (ex.) one week do bench press with barbell, the next do it with dumbbells, then smith machine, etc...
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You could try front squats instead of regular squats, so you don't get trapped under the bar.

For bench press, you can use dumbbells or the press from the floor. The last resort when benching alone with a barbell is to leave the collars off. This allows you to dump the weights off if you ever get stuck.

If you're worried about upping the weight, try increasing on the first set only.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How is your program set up? The way mine is, is once I can do 3 sets of 6 reps (goal is 4 to 6 reps), I increase weight 5 for upper body and 10lbs on lower body.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Generally, once you can make all your reps in every set with GOOD FORM, it's time to increase the weight. I will usually go for 2 or 3 consecutive sessions of this before upping, though programs like Stronglifts say 1. If I don't think I'm ready after 2 or 3 sessions, usually it's because I wasn't happy with form and I will deload.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What does your program say about adding weight?
  • Famof72015
    Options
    I don't have a program I'm just doing my own thing... anyone want to give me a program? Ha
  • kelisueray
    kelisueray Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Starting Strength. Super basic and simple for a first time program. They even have this super easy app to help set up your warmups and lifts: http://www.warmupreps.com/#starting-strength
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't have a program I'm just doing my own thing... anyone want to give me a program? Ha

Did you look at the link posted in your other threads. It has a list of a ton of programs. Or just go into the sticky.. its there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You need a program.

Then you'll known.

But don't worry- It's cool- I'll list the easily googable and re-searchable and already stickied things for you though.

Strong lifts
    Starting strength
    new rules of lifting (for women)
    Strong Curves
  • cjohnsonss
    cjohnsonss Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your bench press yet, wait until 10 reps are achievable. After your 10 on deadlifts and sqauts do you stop because you're at 10, or because you can't do anymore?
    If you're stopping only because you get to 10 and thats your goal I would up the weight.
    If you're worried about adding weight, make your negative movements slower 2-3 seconds or 3-4 seconds vs just pumping out reps.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You need a program. Especially if you're bulking. You're spinning your wheels. Intensity and/or volume should be increasing weekly.
  • nooneyuk88
    nooneyuk88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I recently moved away from sl 5x5 to doing 3x10 on the same 5 exercises. I do them in the same order just more reps. Deads are 3x7

This was mainly because the lifts were so close to maximum my rest breaks were too long, I work out on my lunch break, and if I failed a lift in o a few sets I didn't think I was doing enough volume to progress so this healed break plateau and up my O.R.M.

When I can do 3x10 I up it 5 pounds. I then aim for 7,7 and do 10 on my last set if I can. If I can do 10 in the last set I start at 10 on my first set next time and try for 3x10. If I didn't manage 10 I try for 8 or 9 for first two sets and again aim for 10 on my last set. I'm always aiming to do more reps than last time. Then once I get 3x10 I up the weight by 5 and rinse and repeat.

Really helped me break my plateau.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    You need a program. Especially if you're bulking. You're spinning your wheels. Intensity and/or volume should be increasing weekly.

I'm not bulking

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I'm not bulking

Even if you aren't bulking, it'd be wise to use a progressive overload program to gain strength. Preferably one that is established and made by someone qualified to do so.