how to get fit when exhausted?

Options
This is new for me. Typically to lose weight and get fit in the past, all I had to do is be a little careful about portion control and up my exercise. I exercised either with any one of the myriad of workout videos I have or walking or biking.

My problem now is that my job requires 40 plus hours standing with light walking, retail.

My body is more tired then its ever been in my life. My feet hurt, my legs are sore. Though they have great muscle tone I'm 30 lbs heavier then I want to be. I'm too tired. On my days off I can barely limp around the house. I have great sneakers and 3 different inserts I alternate. But I am more physically tired then I have ever been in the past.

I'm 47, I eat healthy but unless I severely restrict myself to the point where I'm not getting enough nutrition to make it through or give my body to recover, I don't lose weight. I have been on this job and schedule since mid may. I have actually gained weight. I'm a 12 and should be an 8. I'm 5'5".

My legs are too wiped out to do the 10 miles of biking or step aerobics I used to do.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have you gone through menopause?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    No I have not yet hit menopause.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I find that on the days I can't face land exercises, swimming is a great alternative, it'll take the weight bearing out of the equation whilst exercising. As a side not I find adding Epsom salts to my bath water, or a foot bath really works for me too.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Time for a check up with a full blood work up. Something else might be going on.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Do you eat sugar, sweets, or junk food with sugar? If yes, those things will make you tired (based on my experience as a Junk Food Queen of the first magnitude). When I eliminated those things from my diet and replaced them with regular, healthy, filling meals, my energy increased 100 percent.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Time for a check up with a full blood work up. Something else might be going on.

Something to think about...If you really are active at work AND eating at a deficit, there's no way you should be gaining weight unless there is an underlying medical issue.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    As an RN who spends most of her day on het feet, walking and bending inways we wont talk about, I find I'm exhausted quite a bit. Had a check up recently and labs were fine. Partly getting older I'm 54 and parlt no time for a proper work out schedule. So I know how you feel. Check your macros and see where they should be and start yherr.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Also, I checked your diary, but it looks like you aren't logging your food. Try logging everything. You might be surprised to find you are eating more than you think. Good luck. Hope you feel better.
  • successgal1
    Options
    I find that on the days I can't face land exercises, swimming is a great alternative, it'll take the weight bearing out of the equation whilst exercising. As a side not I find adding Epsom salts to my bath water, or a foot bath really works for me too.

We don't have a pool or a bathtub.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Do you eat sugar, sweets, or junk food with sugar? If yes, those things will make you tired (based on my experience as a Junk Food Queen of the first magnitude). When I eliminated those things from my diet and replaced them with regular, healthy, filling meals, my energy increased 100 percent.

No I don't eat those things.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Also, I checked your diary, but it looks like you aren't logging your food. Try logging everything. You might be surprised to find you are eating more than you think. Good luck. Hope you feel better.

No I haven't logged my food in ages. I was 143 the last tike I logged and got a handle on what I should be eating. I just came back because since then I gained 25 lbs, 10 with this job.
  • rosesrred7575
    Options
    I completely understand....try a walk/workout before work...when I come home from work some times I don't even want to eat...I just go straight to bed.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and have 5 young children. I am a SAHM.
    I lose weight the best when I am rested, don't have emotional stress, and can be physically active. This is obvious, of course.
    But my lifestyle right now is pretty challenged.
    I have found that weight training (compound lifts, as heavy as possible) is the best way to get fit. I don't like cardio type classes as they are too stimulating to my poor over-stimulated nervous system. I skip those and go to the free-weight section.
    Even if I only get in 30min of lifting, or on occasion only 15min of lifting, I am really happy with my body's shape! I try to w/o for an hour.
    In the evening after a meal I can get in a quick run/walk or bikeride.
    Over time I have been able to do even more fitness efforts, but this minimum keeps me in good shape!
  • successgal1
    Options

That ingredient list scares me. Maybe I'll just take a b supplement. I stay away from anything with nutra sweet. Only stevia here, sometimes honey in tea. But a small honeypacket seems to add 2lbs.
  • successgal1
    Options
    I am 44 and have 5 young children. I am a SAHM.
    I lose weight the best when I am rested, don't have emotional stress, and can be physically active. This is obvious, of course.
    But my lifestyle right now is pretty challenged.
    I have found that weight training (compound lifts, as heavy as possible) is the best way to get fit. I don't like cardio type classes as they are too stimulating to my poor over-stimulated nervous system. I skip those and go to the free-weight section.
    Even if I only get in 30min of lifting, or on occasion only 15min of lifting, I am really happy with my body's shape! I try to w/o for an hour.
    In the evening after a meal I can get in a quick run/walk or bikeride.
    Over time I have been able to do even more fitness efforts, but this minimum keeps me in good shape!

My upperbody could use some weights. That may be the only thing I can force myself to do right now. I am pretty good about trying tobsleep 8 hours but even though I'm tired I'm waking up. As evidenced by me posting this. My so snoring and my sore feet woke me up. In generali get up at 8 am and have online orders to take care of, as well as multiple pets and me, my food and water to prepare in a cooler before I have to be at work at noon. I then don't get home until 9 pm. I'm not even sure where to fit a half hour of weights into that.
  • successgal1
    Options
    I completely understand....try a walk/workout before work...when I come home from work some times I don't even want to eat...I just go straight to bed.

Umm no. Already walking 40 hours. Thanks.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well before "ummm no"ing it off, maybe try it. It could give you a better start to some of your days. Don't knock it til you try it.
    I'm 47, I eat healthy but unless I severely restrict myself to the point where I'm not getting enough nutrition to make it through or give my body to recover, I don't lose weight.

Perhaps it's time to see a dietician so you can begin properly eating? You CAN definitely get enough nutrition AND lose weight, you just have to make the right food decisions. Not eating enough will definitely affect your energy levels and make you even more reluctant to do any other activity other than what your job requires.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walk. Just go walking. The fresh air will help, the sunshine will help & you will get enough exercise to keep you fit. Walk for an hour, forget the 30 min thing.. just walk.

Edit:didn't see the already walk thing. I walk 11 hours a day minimum now... I still walk to do everything as well though & then do a workout as well. Walking will do so much for you, if you do it right. None of this slow stuff....fast fast fast.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    dough21: Are you actually recommending a pre workout drink? Really, you're that silly?

Anyway, OP, agree with some of the other comments. Log your food daily. It doesn't take that much time, just spend 15 minutes each day doing it. Get some blood work done too from your doctor if your insurance covers it.

Also find ways to ease the strain in your legs. A shower or hot bath after work may be helpful. Go all out with the bath and get some music, some candles and whatnot if it helps you to relax. A supplement does not give you "energy"; energy is something that has calories. Vitamins and minerals do not have calories, they just give you the feeling or a placebo affect of energy, eg in the form of caffeine. Just increase your calories a little bit so your have the energy to work out so that you are burning calories to create weight loss. But ensure you are getting plenty of protein at the same time, 0.8g/lb of lean body mass as a minimum.

Try different things, there comes a point in our lives where we need to stop blaming other people or aspects for our inability to do something. There are plenty of men and women who work 40+ hours/week, have young children and/or elderly parents, volunteer, play sports, do the housework and groceries and still have time to work out, even if it's at 5:00am. It's not because they're lucky, it's because they worked hard, either in the past or now.