Gained weight but where?

Hello guys,
I am wondering if you can help me solve this mystery. My waage tells me I gained 4lbs in the second half of 2016 but I don't see it.

After I lost weight with Mfp I maintained at around138lbs for the last 2,5 years. I stayed fairly active but due to major health problems of a close family member I didn't do as much as I wanted. It didn't matter because the stress affected my appetite and my weight had a tendency to go down.

This year, however, the problems resolved and I became more active again. I went walking, running, swimming hiking in the mountains and added a bit of resistance training. I honestly feel fabulous but apparently I gained. Now, the strange thing is that I remember how I looked the last time with 4lbs more and I look nothing like it. I know it cannot be muscles because I am a woman and I didn't do any heavy lifting. Just some resistance training and trying to learn proper push-ups so where are the additional pounds.

P.S. All my clothes fit the same too.

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Four pounds isn't that much and you could easily have gained a little more muscle mass from all of the physical activities you have been doing. Women can gain muscle mass and it doesn't take heavy lifting to do it.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Four pounds isn't that much and you could easily have gained a little more muscle mass from all of the physical activities you have been doing. Women can gain muscle mass and it doesn't take heavy lifting to do it.

agreed!
    take measurements. 4 pounds is not much. if you want it gone you know what to do!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Four pounds spread evenly throughout the body isn't noticeable. If it were me, I would just track my calories for a few weeks and it would be gone.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    Fat can also be lodged inside your abdominal cavity, where it's invisible from the outside.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    I lost about 43 pounds and maintained 137 5'5 for a while and I gained weight too. Like up to 145. It doesn't look like I gained a lot of weight, but I think I can tell it a bit in my midsection, again I'm not sure where either. I think these are just small changes we can't really see in ourselves
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Four pounds spread evenly throughout the body isn't noticeable. If it were me, I would just track my calories for a few weeks and it would be gone.
    I am fairly slim because I am 5'9" so I usually notice 4lb in both directions because at this weight I mainly gain and loose at my upper thights and hips
    sbrandt37 wrote: »

agreed!
    take measurements. 4 pounds is not much. if you want it gone you know what to do!
    I was under the impression that gaining 4lbs of muscle mass is a lot for a woman without heavy lifting but maybe it's a combination of a little fat and muscle mass. I do remember how I looked the last time I was at 142lbs and my upper thighs where bigger compared to now so I am definitely leaner.

I will take my measurements today and will monitor them. It's probably a good time for it because I am planning to change my fitness routine a little starting next week. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Sounds like muscle to me if you're working out more. It can take quite a few pounds for me to notice it in my clothes and I'm pretty small (5'3"). You'll be surprised at how your muscle tone changes with any new activity, not just lifting weights.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Have you seen the 4 lbs repeatedly and consistently over a couple of months, eg weekly weigh ins? Or did you weigh only a few times during the 6 months? If only a few weigh ins, then this could be a random fluctuation rather than a true weight gain.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Have you seen the 4 lbs repeatedly and consistently over a couple of months, eg weekly weigh ins? Or did you weigh only a few times during the 6 months? If only a few weigh ins, then this could be a random fluctuation rather than a true weight gain.
    I weighed only a few times but always at the same time of day. The last two weeks I weighed more often and I am always around 142lbs :/. I will try to get down to 138lbs again over the next few weeks. Although I don't notice the weight I just like that number more. I re-started going to the gym and was yesterday the first time again.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    S3r3knitty wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I weighed only a few times but always at the same time of day. The last two weeks I weighed more often and I am always around 142lbs :/. I will try to get down to 138lbs again over the next few weeks. Although I don't notice the weight I just like that number more. I re-started going to the gym and was yesterday the first time again.

2 weeks? So no definitely not muscle and probably water weight. The most a women can gain in muscle in 2 weeks with perfect training and nutrition is maybe .5 lbs.