ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It's semantics. At some point we are arguing just to be right vs trying to help. Both cals in and exercise have their role in one's calorie balance.

it's not semantics tho...there are those who can't exercise or don't and still lose weight.

Yes exercise can increase your deficit and allow you to eat more food but that being said if you follow MFP you should be eating all those exercise calories back because the general assumption is that people don't, won't or can't exercise and in order for them to lose weight you just need to eat less.

So again.

Not semantics.
    It's semantics. At some point we are arguing just to be right vs trying to help. Both cals in and exercise have their role in one's calorie balance.

it's not semantics tho...there are those who can't exercise or don't and still lose weight.

Yes exercise can increase your deficit and allow you to eat more food but that being said if you follow MFP you should be eating all those exercise calories back because the general assumption is that people don't, won't or can't exercise and in order for them to lose weight you just need to eat less.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

If you watch how much you eat and exercise... which is causing the deficit and the subsequent weight loss is semantics.

Oh the opposite side of the equation...
    If I eat my maintenance cals in oreos, then have a protein shake that puts me over my cals... is that protein shake causing my weight gain? Semantics.

And this is the point you are missing.

MFP runs on NEAT...meaning that it gives you the calories you need to lose weight without exercise...you then log your exercise and (given numbers are correct) you eat back all of the exercise calories you burned...

So if you are using NEAT correctly the exercise is not creating a deficit.

That is not semantics for this discussion.

For those of us who exercise for health and fitness it's not semantics either...we exercise not to lose weight but for health and fitness.

Why does it bother you so much that people see it differently than you? It is semantics. Create a deficit and you will lose weight whether it's on the CI or the CO side of the equation.

I exercise to lose weight. And it's working.

what makes you think I am bothered at all...this is an internet forum. I am debating the merits of the requirement of exercise to lose weight...and since you don't need exercise to lose weight it doesn't matter if you do see if differently.

I think it's funny the advice people give to others based on what they do instead of giving well round advice that applies to the majority not the minority...

I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was the one insisting that my viewpoint was the only one possible.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you're going to exercise while fat, swimming and/or bicycling are good choices because they aren't straining your joints as much as other exercises.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

If you watch how much you eat and exercise... which is causing the deficit and the subsequent weight loss is semantics.

If I eat my maintenance cals in oreos, then have a protein shake that puts me over my cals... is that protein shake causing my weight gain? Semantics.

MFP runs on NEAT...meaning that it gives you the calories you need to lose weight without exercise...you then log your exercise and (given numbers are correct) you eat back all of the exercise calories you burned...

For those of us who exercise for health and fitness it's not semantics either...we exercise not to lose weight but for health and fitness.

Why does it bother you so much that people see it differently than you? It is semantics. Create a deficit and you will lose weight whether it's on the CI or the CO side of the equation.

what makes you think I am bothered at all...this is an internet forum. I am debating the merits of the requirement of exercise to lose weight...and since you don't need exercise to lose weight it doesn't matter if you do see if differently.

I think it's funny the advice people give to others based on what they do instead of giving well round advice that applies to the majority not the minority...

I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was the one insisting that my viewpoint was the only one possible.

who is doing that? no where in any of this has anyone said "my way is the only way to do it"

I am just pointing out serious flaws in the "exercise to lose weight" scenario such as what happens if you can't exercise??? what happens if you are still eating too much? what if what if?????
  • ogtmama
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

who is doing that? no where in any of this has anyone said "my way is the only way to do it"

I am just pointing out serious flaws in the "exercise to lose weight" scenario such as what happens if you can't exercise??? what happens if you are still eating too much? what if what if?????

I don't see how a future that may or may not happen has anything to do with whether or not exercising effects weight loss.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

I don't see how a future that may or may not happen has anything to do with whether or not exercising effects weight loss.

who says it's a future...?? there are people on this site who cannot exercise but need to lose weight...and your advice is moot for them. There are those who don't want to exercise...your advice is moot for them and disheartening.

My advice of you don't need to exercise to lose weight gives 85% of the people here a brighter day and a possible future not being overweight...and if at that point they choose to exercise (if they can) good for them....

and this is not a debate on if it helps the OP was "Who can recommend the best exercise for weight loss?" and that answer is there isn't one....why because it's not required for weight loss.
  • ogtmama
    edited February 2017
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

who says it's a future...?? there are people on this site who cannot exercise but need to lose weight...and your advice is moot for them. There are those who don't want to exercise...your advice is moot for them and disheartening.

My advice of you don't need to exercise to lose weight gives 85% of the people here a brighter day and a possible future not being overweight...and if at that point they choose to exercise (if they can) good for them....

and this is not a debate on if it helps the OP was "Who can recommend the best exercise for weight loss?" and that answer is there isn't one....why because it's not required for weight loss.

I didn't say it was the only way. I said it was an option.

Eta: I said it depended on how you look at it and that it was about a balanced CICO equation and that you can create a deficit anyway you want and be successful. Don't turn my argument into a straw man.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

So again.

Not semantics.

So again.

Not semantics.

That wasn't my point.

I didn't say it was the only way. I said it was an option.

...it's not always an option...or a desire either...but again the op was what is the best exercise and your answer wasn't factual or on point...

PS let me say this...I love exercise and do it almost everyday. I think exercise is amazing but I also know most people don't really want to exercise and only do it to try and lose weight and when they are done losing stop exercising and yo yo up....rinse repeat...but if people learn that you don't need to exercise to lose weight you get this group that loses weight and they keep it off and then another group who give up because so little food is too hard then a group who get what I did...exercise gives you more food...but they have to come to it on their own...and learn to love exercise or at least find the "least objectionable" one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

not really ..

you can eat in a deficit and lose weight, and you won't gain weight.

you can exercise, overeat, and not lose weight.

so they are not the same because you can't eat in a calorie deficit and gain weight.

calorie deficit for weight loss
    exercise for health and fitness
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

not really ..

you can eat in a deficit and lose weight, and you won't gain weight.

you can exercise, overeat, and not lose weight.

so they are not the same because you can't eat in a calorie deficit and gain weight.

calorie deficit for weight loss
    exercise for health and fitness

Or you can eat at a slight surplus, exercise to deficit and lose weight.

But regardless, my post that you quoted was directed at the exchanges between ninerbuff, ogtmama, and rileysowner. I should have quoted for clarity. It was NOT directed back to the OPs original question
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    right...but some don't have that choice...hence exericse is not a requirement to lose weight and it is not recommended that you do it just through exercise as you are not learning how to deal with a deficit from your normal habits...ie creating new habits that will help you maintain your weight loss...

I knwo cause I did what you are doing...ate as normal and exercised...lost the weight...gained it back...it was one of my many yo yo's.

If someone learns how to create a deficit through exercise, how is that not learning how to deal with a deficit through habits?

If you look at the National Weight Control Registry, which is full of people who've lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a lot of time, virtually everyone who did it, did it in part by increasing their activity. Mostly through walking. Look at their "findings" page for the numbers.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Walking is good cardio because it doesn't put a ton of stress on your parts (as opposed to running), I use running/walking apps for motivation (Zombies, Run! It doesn't care if you walk).
    If I want strength for variety I prefer hand weights (personal choice).
    It's really up to you as to what's the best, because if you don't at least moderately enjoy it, you're not going to want to do it, and it's less likely that you'll continue to do it. There's no 'best' because it's all about what you want to do, and as long as you keep your calorie deficit, that's all you actually have to do. Exercise is a good way to give yourself some extra calories though.
    Right now I can't exercise at all (surgery recovery), so I just make sure I keep my deficit to continue to lose weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Anything that burns calories will help create a calorie deficit. It's honestly not strictly necessary for weight loss. Really, the best thing you can do is try a bunch of different things, to find what you like and will stick with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Anything that burns calories will help create a calorie deficit. It's honestly not strictly necessary for weight loss. Really, the best thing you can do is try a bunch of different things, to find what you like and will stick with.

Yup...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    right...but some don't have that choice...hence exericse is not a requirement to lose weight and it is not recommended that you do it just through exercise as you are not learning how to deal with a deficit from your normal habits...ie creating new habits that will help you maintain your weight loss...

I knwo cause I did what you are doing...ate as normal and exercised...lost the weight...gained it back...it was one of my many yo yo's.

If someone learns how to create a deficit through exercise, how is that not learning how to deal with a deficit through habits?

If you look at the National Weight Control Registry, which is full of people who've lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a lot of time, virtually everyone who did it, did it in part by increasing their activity. Mostly through walking. Look at their "findings" page for the numbers.

because exercise if not enjoyed and if you really don't want to do it will go the wayside and it's not a habit that will continue into maintenance.

Yes those who lose and keep it off typically exercise...and they get to eat more food than if they didn't exercise...that in itself is enough for some but not most...most don't want to exercise and as I said some can't...for example I have a friend with RA...she can't exercise now and is gaining weight because she didn't learn how to restrict calories...just exercise to lose weight...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

because exercise if not enjoyed and if you really don't want to do it will go the wayside and it's not a habit that will continue into maintenance.

Yes those who lose and keep it off typically exercise...and they get to eat more food than if they didn't exercise...that in itself is enough for some but not most...most don't want to exercise and as I said some can't...for example I have a friend with RA...she can't exercise now and is gaining weight because she didn't learn how to restrict calories...just exercise to lose weight...

Is going hungry enjoyed?

Exercise, on the other hand, can and should be fun. Which is why a lot of people do it. Starving is never fun. Which is why people stop when they hit their goal weight, and then put everything they lost back on.

I realize there are people who can't or prefer not to exercise. There are people with all kinds of preferences. Most people, however, are capable of walking. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for everybody to base their lives around limitations that other people have.

Again, here are some numbers from people who've succeeded at weight loss (66 lbs on average) and at long term maintenance (5.5 years on average).

94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.

Source: http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you do as long as you like it. If you want to stick with it an make exercise a part of your life, choose something enjoyable and don't overdo it. Many people will say high intensity short duration will get you the most bang for your buck, but it will get you nothing if you don't enjoy it and don't stick with it.

Since you asked for examples. Team sports like soccer, hockey are good because the motivation is easy. I guess you could run....if you had to... :( I suppose a really easy answer would be to join a HIIT class. That'll do it, but it could be expensive.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Is going hungry enjoyed?

Exercise, on the other hand, can and should be fun. Which is why a lot of people do it. Starving is never fun. Which is why people stop when they hit their goal weight, and then put everything they lost back on.

I realize there are people who can't or prefer not to exercise. There are people with all kinds of preferences. Most people, however, are capable of walking. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for everybody to base their lives around limitations that other people have.

Again, here are some numbers from people who've succeeded at weight loss (66 lbs on average) and at long term maintenance (5.5 years on average).

94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.

not sure if hunger is enjoyed or experienced...there are lots who don't exercise and lose weight...and aren't hungry.

exercise being good or bad is not part of the discussion...the question is what exercise is needed to lose weight and the answer is none period. regardless of what the nwr says to lose weight it isn't required...is it required to keep it off...no....does it make it easier yes but again not the question.

you all seem to be trying to convince me exercise helps..not sure why...i never said it didn't what I said is that its not required to lose weight...and that is on point and a fact.
  • ogtmama
    Options

Is going hungry enjoyed?

not sure if hunger is enjoyed or experienced...there are lots who don't exercise and lose weight...and aren't hungry.

exercise being good or bad is not part of the discussion...the question is what exercise is needed to lose weight and the answer is none period. regardless of what the nwr says to lose weight it isn't required...is it required to keep it off...no....does it make it easier yes but again not the question.

you all seem to be trying to convince me exercise helps..not sure why...i never said it didn't what I said is that its not required to lose weight...and that is on point and a fact.

Nobody asked if exercise was necessary to lose weight in this thread. Not one time. I guess we have our wires crossed.

The op asked WHICH exercises we would recommend and so most of us said it doesn't matter so long as you enjoy it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,250 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can lose weight in one of three ways ...

1. Eat less with little or no exercise

2. Exercise more

3. A combination of eating less and exercising more.

I have successfully lost weight using each of those three methods at different times in my life. So a person can choose the method that appeals under particular circumstances ... and then a few years later, can choose a different method if necessary.

It all comes down to a calorie deficit.

As for what exercise you should do ... do things you enjoy and mix it up a bit now and then. :)
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,885 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Excercise is amazing for your body and wellbeing but you shouldn't depend on it for weight loss. Unless you're during prolonged endurance sports its largely negligible it terms of calories burned. I would promote cardio exercise such as running, cycling and swimming. Nutrition always is king though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCtn4Ap8kDM