Fat resistance diet and south beach diet

Options
Has anyone done either of these? What has been your success rate? How have you coped with the sugar cravings and what do you eat? I am trying to work out which to do - both have the three phases but wondered which had a better success rate.

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Your success rate will depend on one thing. A calorie deficit that you can stick with. Don't waste your time and money.

But to answer your question, no I don't know anything about those diets. :) Wait that's not true, I do know somebody is making some money, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As actual diet plans go, I'm actually a proponent of South Beach namely because they take you through phase, where the final phase is supposed to be how you approach your diet (noun) into perpetuity to maintain.

I gave it a try with my wife eons ago...frankly, I didn't really have much, if any weight to lose, but I wanted to be supportive of her efforts...I lasted about one week on phase I with basically no carbs except veggies...we weren't married at that time...dating seriously and I was in college and pretty active so it made me pretty sluggish...and I missed drinking beer.

That said, it's a relatively short phase of the program...I wasn't fully vested at the time either. I do like that it focuses on whole foods and really like that it has a maintenance approach. When I look at the maintenance phase of SB, it is very similar to the way I eat on my own. If I were to pick a diet plan now, it would probably be SB...as it is though, I had a lot of success calorie counting and slowly making improvements to my diet to get to where I am now.

Ultimately your success will be determined by your consistency...this is true of any program or methodology...
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'd go with neither. Instead of a diet, make a lifestyle change. Diets don't have a good succes rate as they are quite temporary. I think a lot of your responses are going to be subjective as everyone responds so differently. If you don't start training yourself to make healthy choices now, don't expect to maintain what you lose after the diet.

I think it's going to be more stressful for you to use MFP (which is aimed at calorie counting) while also participating in a diet program (not aimed at calorie counting). There are a lot of other forums out there that you may find more useful.

I agree with the other commenter on here by calculating a good calorie goal and exercising. I'd add that you research a little each day and learn something new about healthy choices and exercise.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Studies have show that most diets work for weight loss, if you stick to it. The problem with diets is that people don't usually stick to them and if they do lose the weight they don't know how to keep it off once they are done.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the first week on south beach. It was crazy restrictive.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Not heard of either
    Good luck which ever one you chose
    If it was me though I would use mfp as designed to lose weight, there are enough success stories to prove it works