Food Scale

Options
2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Until MFP, aside from the odd American baking recipe I'd used (and bought cups specifically for) it never occurred to me not to use one for cooking etc! Standard kitchen staple in the UK and a lot of people would stare at you blankly if you gave them a cup measurement.

A friend and I were talking about it and wishing more American cookbooks included weights. I don't know why scales are so scary to Americans in the kitchen.

Not scary, but historically they were expensive and thus cup were used. Now they are inexpensive, but it is difficult changing long standing tradition.

There are so many people who assume they will be "too hard." We even run into it here. Those of us positing on this thread know better, but there are a large number of Americans that are afraid of changing measurement types.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and love it. Defiantly get one that can measure large quantities and is flat so you can put your plate on it and zero out every time before adding a new food, but also get one that takes regular, easy to find batteries. I got one with a glass top before, which was pretty and said it measured up to 4-5 pounds, but it took some weird size flat battery that they didn't sell around me. I got a new one at WalMart that has a pretty bamboo top and takes AA batteries.

Also, it's a lot easier to make large meals and measure out your serving size and freeze in those sizes so you can just take one out of the freezer for lunch in the morning. Or, if you're like me, I really like to can soups, stews, and chilis. I make a giant batch and then put my measured amount in each jar (a pint holds 1.5 cups, a quart holds 3.5, leaving the required 1 inch head space). I can just take a jar of taco soup or chili, or whatever I made, to work with me, and have yummy, homemade soup for lunch. Or for a quick, homemade turkey noodle soup for dinner in 10 minutes; just add noodles, water, and heat.
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I use this one and I love it, very accurate and gives other nutritional info as well.

wqz3wyme7g07.jpg
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    cuadrado12 wrote: »
    I have one. You'll find that once you measure things a time or two that you can learn what a serving size looks like. After that, you can eyeball things.

Some people can, some cannot. I cannot. I might be close early on, but very quickly which I eyeball becomes bigger and bigger. Good for you it you can, but realize many of us likely cannot.

I AGREE. i've been weighing food for years and i still can't eyeball it. LOL