Lifting recommendations?

Options
I'm a 43 yr old female, weigh 145 and take Piyo, P90x and Lean Body classes 5x a week. I want to add some lifting on the days I take Piyo and P90x but don't really know what to add that would complement my current workouts. I'm a pear shape and would like to have leaner thighs and more defined shoulders/upper body (I'm basically a size 4 top and size 6/8 bottom).

Also, would it be better to lift before class or after?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like Strong Lifts 5x5. It's a nice starters program. I do my lifting on days I'm not doing my cardio. I fancy myself a runner, having done a Half Marathon last Sept., and started SL5x5 as a supplement to running and increase strength. I have no opinion on what you should do first or after. Try each way and see what you prefer?
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. Does anyone have experience with The New Rules of Lifting for Women?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Here is a list of lifting programs from beginner to advanced, body weight only training, and barbell training.

Have a gander and see what fits your schedule/needs.

I started off with Stronglifts 5x5 and am now running Wendler's 5/3/1.

I have read the New Rules book, but decided to do Stronglifts instead because it was a simpler program.

Start slow. Work on form. Do not rush to add weight.

Recover properly. This may mean having to drop a class or two as lifting can be taxing on your body and you may need time to recover when it does get heavy.