free weight suggestions for a petite gal?

Options
walleyclan1
walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
I have been doing The New Rules of Lifting for Women for a couple of weeks now and it is going pretty good. I am using my husbands gear and my main problem is that his barbell is so long and I keep bumping into walls with it. Are there shorter barbells that are straight (not a curl bar)?

Replies

• Addis_Daddy12
    Addis_Daddy12 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Maybe use dumb bells?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you can get shorter barbells, but if the problem is bumping into walls then maybe you need a bigger space to work out in?

as your form improves, then you should be able to handle the barbell better, and not bump into walls. I think it would be best to stick with what you have. good form is vital

you can use dumbbells to begin with if the bar is actually too heavy, i.e. you're struggling to learn the form of the lifts with it, due to its weight. It's also a good idea to practice form with a broomstick, because then you can focus 100% on what your body's doing without having to worry about any actual weight. Then use dumbbells while you build up your strength until you can do the lifts with the bar with good form. However, if you can already lift the bar with good form and it doesn't feel too heavy, there's no need to do this, just keep practicing good form with the barbell, and start increasing the weight once you're happy with your form.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Get a 4 foot barbell. Work out with the bar alone until you learn the moves, then slowly add weights.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have been doing The New Rules of Lifting for Women for a couple of weeks now and it is going pretty good. I am using my husbands gear and my main problem is that his barbell is so long and I keep bumping into walls with it. Are there shorter barbells that are straight (not a curl bar)?

You have a 7 foot oly barbell?
    Get a shorter one. You can get 5 foot barbells.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even sure that a shorter bar existed lol Thanks for the advice everyone!