Targeting weightloss

Options
I'm relatively new to this but I was just wondering if its better to do cardio to lose weight all over first and then try and to
tone? If my problem area is lower belly, hips and thighs can you do certain excercises to get rid of the fat here more effectively? At the moment I'm running/planking/chrunching... is there anything else I should be doing?

any advice would be hugely appreciated

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You can't target weightloss. The weight comes off from where ever it wants to. Strength training is great for preserving the muscle mass you have while you're losing weight. You'll find it much harder to make any progress if you only do cardio while losing weight and then try and build up the muscle you lost along the way.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can't target weightloss. The weight comes off from where ever it wants to.

Wrong.

The fat comes off where ever you don't want it to come off. It comes off last where you want it to come off. Fat is a bit of an *kitten* that way.

:)

j/k about the post being wrong

It does feel that way though...... :s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No specific exercise can target fat...the exercise itself isn't what burns fat...being in a consistent energy (calorie) deficit is what burns fat. Most "problem" areas for people tend to be primary fat stores...primary fat stores are generally first on, last off.

I would personally recommend a combination of both cardiovascular exercise for your cardiovascular health and resistance training to maintain lean mass, be strong, maintain bone density, etc. Neither will inherently result in weight loss, but both will expend a bit more energy when done regularly which makes things a bit easier and deficits more manageable and gives you a bit more wiggle room for error.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You can't target weightloss. The weight comes off from where ever it wants to.

Wrong.

The fat comes off where ever you don't want it to come off. It comes off last where you want it to come off. Fat is a bit of an *kitten* that way.

:)

j/k about the post being wrong

True - very very true unfortunately.
  • bodnicness1
    bodnicness1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice it's great :) I'm currently trying to constict calories so having 1,200 a day and am running for about 20 minutes cycling for the same then doing stomach strength training... I'll speak to a gym trainer for help with resistance/strength :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Deficit and exercise if you like will get the fat off but it takes time. It took time to put it on in the first place.