Trying lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• mydaughters9380
    mydaughters9380 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's 5lb in 3 weeks just I haven't lost none this week but I'm working hard at losing it

Sometimes you may have weeks where the scale doesn't show a loss, but soon after you'll have a drop in weight. It sounds like you're doing well so far! Keep logging and periodically update your goals in MFP so it will update your calorie needs for your new weight.

Thank you I will keep logging everything..... I thought I was doing something wrong with no weight loss but will keep at it xx
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No I'm not weighing it as was unsure what the right amount should be I only started to change a few weeks ago as I'm not happy with myself and need to be healthier and fitter

Then I can almost guarantee you are eating more than you think you are.

How much is each portion ment to be cus I only eat a small portion but if this is wrong I would like to try get it right
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    are you eating at a calorie deficit? that is all you need.

Yes I am I don't eat all the calories I'm allowed also all the calories I burn gets more each day....on this I have lowered my calories so I eat less each calories
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No I'm not weighing it as was unsure what the right amount should be I only started to change a few weeks ago as I'm not happy with myself and need to be healthier and fitter

How much is each portion ment to be cus I only eat a small portion but if this is wrong I would like to try get it right

Your portion can be whatever you'd like. The point of the scale is to weigh it so you can understand how many calories you're actually eating.

Let's say I'm really hungry and I have a lot of calories left. I may give myself a bigger serving of something and I can use the scale to see it weighed 300 grams so I can log it accurately. Or if I'm less hungry or don't have many calories left -- I may take a smaller portion, say 50 grams. Again, when I know how much it weighs, I can be sure that I'm logging the right amount.

But neither serving size is "right" or "wrong." They're both okay for different situations.

The "right" combination is the combination of foods and serving sizes that helps you consistently meet your calorie goals over time.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That's 5lb in 3 weeks just I haven't lost none this week but I'm working hard at losing it

5lbs in three weeks is actually great progress. Congratulations! Way to go!

I never count my menstrual week because that week the scale always goes up a little or stays the same.

(and by the way 5lbs is A LOT. When you go to the grocery store hold 5 1lb packages of butter next to you and think about how much mass that is in body fat)

People are often under the misconception that once they start eating better and exercising that weight will just melt off several pounds at a time but realistically healthy weight loss is only between .5lb and 1.5lbs per week - that's only 2-6lbs per month. For long lasting results you have to commit yourself to long lasting change.

If you are weighing your food you will know exactly what the right amount should be. Most package food tells you exactly how many grams are in a serving. Once you weigh that amount out you now have exactly 1 serving or cut back to half a serving or increase to 2 servings. Most fresh fruits and vegetables in the MFP database allow you to select measurements per 1gram (hit the down arrow on the serving size bar) and enter in the number of grams you weighed your produce out to be.

Advice: Buy a kitchen scale and use it. Don't worship your bathroom scale - only weigh yourself once a week or once every two weeks. Buy a tape measure. Measure and track your waist, hips and chest (which you can do on MFP) once every two weeks or once a month.

Never give up, even if you have a bad day or week of eating or not exercising, just brush it off, don't beat yourself up and go back to working on losing weight. Progress will be slow but as long as you stick with it you will see positive results.

It took me almost a year and a half to lose 75lbs but boy am I happy!

HTH

• mydaughters9380
    Options

Your portion can be whatever you'd like. The point of the scale is to weigh it so you can understand how many calories you're actually eating.

Let's say I'm really hungry and I have a lot of calories left. I may give myself a bigger serving of something and I can use the scale to see it weighed 300 grams so I can log it accurately. Or if I'm less hungry or don't have many calories left -- I may take a smaller portion, say 50 grams. Again, when I know how much it weighs, I can be sure that I'm logging the right amount.

But neither serving size is "right" or "wrong." They're both okay for different situations.

The "right" combination is the combination of foods and serving sizes that helps you consistently meet your calorie goals over time.

Aww thank that helps a lot.....I understand a little bit more now x
  • mydaughters9380
    Options
    JacquiH73 wrote: »

5lbs in three weeks is actually great progress. Congratulations! Way to go!

I never count my menstrual week because that week the scale always goes up a little or stays the same.

(and by the way 5lbs is A LOT. When you go to the grocery store hold 5 1lb packages of butter next to you and think about how much mass that is in body fat)

People are often under the misconception that once they start eating better and exercising that weight will just melt off several pounds at a time but realistically healthy weight loss is only between .5lb and 1.5lbs per week - that's only 2-6lbs per month. For long lasting results you have to commit yourself to long lasting change.

If you are weighing your food you will know exactly what the right amount should be. Most package food tells you exactly how many grams are in a serving. Once you weigh that amount out you now have exactly 1 serving or cut back to half a serving or increase to 2 servings. Most fresh fruits and vegetables in the MFP database allow you to select measurements per 1gram (hit the down arrow on the serving size bar) and enter in the number of grams you weighed your produce out to be.

Advice: Buy a kitchen scale and use it. Don't worship your bathroom scale - only weigh yourself once a week or once every two weeks. Buy a tape measure. Measure and track your waist, hips and chest (which you can do on MFP) once every two weeks or once a month.

Never give up, even if you have a bad day or week of eating or not exercising, just brush it off, don't beat yourself up and go back to working on losing weight. Progress will be slow but as long as you stick with it you will see positive results.

It took me almost a year and a half to lose 75lbs but boy am I happy!

HTH

Aww thank you that has really helped and I feel better about my weight loss I only weigh myself every week....I will keep goin for as long as it takes to lose the weight.... I will also do that the next time I'm at the supermarket just to feel the amount I have lost thanks again
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Its sounds to me like you're doing great. Don't change a thing, but your expectations. I've lost 35 lbs over the past year, little by little and trust me, from week to week, sometimes nothing changes and over time, you might have to adjust things a bit here and there.

You're doing great.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Also, don't eat much less than the calories you are allowed. If you do, you're more likely to feel really hungry and deprived, so you're more likely to binge or give up entirely on the diet. If you are exercising, you need food to fuel the workout. You are also getting used to a new way of eating that you need to continue after you are reach your goal so you don't regain the weight. Think about the long term.