My mom & 1200 calories/day

Options
2»

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Just to add to info pot - I'm 66, 5"3" and started at 155 last year. I'm fairly sedentary and have a desk job. At 1200 calories I lose about .3 lbs a week pretty consistently and once I got in the habit I don't find I feel particularly deprived. I think. 25 lbs a week is both doable and sensible :) The very best of luck to both of you!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Um, I don't understand this. Why would she need to lower carbs without calories?

I think a slower loss would be fine at this point. She doesn't have a huge amount to lose so it still won't take her forever if her logging is tight enough. Can she be encouraged to do some walking?

She used to walk frequently, but recently developed some pain in her ankle which is limiting her mobility. My parents have a rowing machine at home, so I suggest she try that if it doesn't aggravate her ankle pain.
    Well maybe start with lower carbs without lowering calories. Step the carb intake down a little each week until she is in the 100-125 grams per day range. Does she live alone and prepare her own meals?

She lives with my dad, but she does 95% of the cooking and food prep. I think the carb recommendation from her doctor was more about the type 2 than it was about weight loss but as @Afura pointed out, I'm getting that info second hand.

I'm thinking that a rowing machine might aggravate her ankle, it involves some pushing. Does she have access to a pool?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say as a grown up child to Asian parents....good luck on teaching them technology and apps, bud. My mom can barely post a Facebook status :p
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Um, I don't understand this. Why would she need to lower carbs without calories?

I think a slower loss would be fine at this point. She doesn't have a huge amount to lose so it still won't take her forever if her logging is tight enough. Can she be encouraged to do some walking?

She used to walk frequently, but recently developed some pain in her ankle which is limiting her mobility. My parents have a rowing machine at home, so I suggest she try that if it doesn't aggravate her ankle pain.
    Well maybe start with lower carbs without lowering calories. Step the carb intake down a little each week until she is in the 100-125 grams per day range. Does she live alone and prepare her own meals?

She lives with my dad, but she does 95% of the cooking and food prep. I think the carb recommendation from her doctor was more about the type 2 than it was about weight loss but as @Afura pointed out, I'm getting that info second hand.

I'm thinking that a rowing machine might aggravate her ankle, it involves some pushing. Does she have access to a pool?

No access to a pool sadly, and she can't swim anyway. She used the rower tonight and apparently her ankle was fine, so hopefully she can stick to that for a while. :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say as a grown up child to Asian parents....good luck on teaching them technology and apps, bud. My mom can barely post a Facebook status :p

Ha! She's surprisingly tech savvy, all things considered. I'm usually an early adopter, but she got an Apple Watch before I did and was actually telling me how to use it when I finally got one. :D
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

Ha! She's surprisingly tech savvy, all things considered. I'm usually an early adopter, but she got an Apple Watch before I did and was actually telling me how to use it when I finally got one. :D

Whoa! That's awesome.

Hope she finds ways to improve her health. Good luck with everything!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It is possible to track calories with a pen, paper, and a reference. That's how they did it in the olden days. It's just harder, because a printed reference doesn't have as much info as the database. Still, if her diet is relatively unvaried, that might be more practical. Even simply logging often cleans up diet.

Also, at 70, just stopping weight gain will also be success. Aiming for a small deficit is a fine idea.