Need Help w/ Fittnes (Gym) Routine

Hi: My question is I joined a gym, I have weight to lose, how do I create a routine? I hate cardio, but am fine on the bike for 30 minutes (please no eliptocal because of my feet). But legs one day, arms another, thats great! But what do I do? I'm reading tons of routines online, but they all say different things, and how do I know THAT routine, is RIGHT for me?

Quick Background...
I've lost 80 lbs, almost solely on changing what I eat, and how I think. I have not lost anything in over an year (I wasn't trying), and I am still 10lbs away from my goal. Then I want my second goal -20lbs- to start.

Replies

• omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    How about doing some jump roping?!?
  • redwards555
    redwards555 Posts: 17 Member
    I suppose, but I do have a gym membership, and there is so much more then just jumping rope!
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    There is nothing wrong with doing the bike. You can increase the difficulty, and keep doing that. As long has your heart rate increases you are doing work. You can do cardio workout on a bike too.

As for a routine. That purely depends on your goals. Do you wanna be able run better, further? Do you wanna make muscle? Do you wanna simply burn some calories?
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    It's great you want to start working out. There are tons of benefits. You haven't said anything about goals other than losing weight, so I'll stick with that one and say you need to reevaluate your calories in and out. If you haven't lost in a year that's probably the best change you can make if you want to lose.

Cardio (such as the bike) certainly helps with the calories out but won't matter if you end up eating them back. Strength training like I said above has many benefits but calories burned is relatively low compared to other types of training. If you are still interested many here love Stronglifts 5*5. It's simple to implement and hits all major muscle groups. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Google new rules of lifting for women
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Sounds to me you want to go to the gym, lift and enjoy yourself. I would google beginners fully body routine (3 days a week maybe) with focus on compound lifts like squat, bench, deadlift that should be a good start. If your not sure on the exercises get a fitness instructor at the gym to show you or youtube
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Whiskey_Byrne Posts: 58 Member
    As a member of a gym you should b able to get help from one of the trainers to assess you and work out a routine that will help you to reach your goal. This should be included in your membership along with an induction if required.
  • martyn4314
    martyn4314 Posts: 8 Member
    Try 'supersets' great way to get the heart rate up and build definition
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Attend group exercises if they have it, best way to burn calories. aAlso you can do some weight lifting before the classes and short run.