Diet soda to beat cravings/binges

Options
Hey everyone, I've got a question. So I pretty much gained weight because I have cravings and I binge, its bad. But I had the idea to drink diet soda instead and it worked! But I'm drinking mass amounts of soda to control the cravings, like 1.5 double big gulps of Diet Coke in one day.

I know that soda isn't the best but I'm not sure if it's better to drink 100 oz of Diet Coke or to binge.

Will I still lose weight if I'm drinking that much but staying in my 1500 cals per day?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You'll still lose...I drink a lot too. I don't feel bad about drinking diet soda, but sometimes I do think I should cut down just because...it's a bit of a crutch. Personally, I'd rather drink the diet soda and not binge. The big gulps are the things from 7/11 right? Maybe try getting two smaller bottles per day if you do want to cut down, as a start.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight as long as you're on deficit. Diet Coke does not add to your calories. I wouldn't recommend huge amounts with respect to your stomach health though. Perhaps you could try salads with huge volume, or simply water to fight against the binges. Good luck!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    What on earth is a "double big gulp"?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I drink nearly two 2 liters of Dt Dr Pepper per day. Losing weight, well hydrated, no binges. I'm not afraid of aspartame and the sodium content is comparable to tap water.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Using diet soda might help with relieving the symptoms (weight gain due to excess calories consumed during a binge) but its not actually helping the cause being the desire to binge. Is there an underlying reason/trigger for the cravings/binges?

To give you an example. I am addicted to regular coke, having discovered I have hypothyroidism I can see I leaned on coke for a caffeine hit/sugar rush as a coping strategy when I was feeling lethargic or needed an extra boost of energy to do something specific. Treatment/medication for my condition means I now have normal energy levels but I am still in the habit of drinking coke (even though now I experience side effects such as not being able to sleep if I have coke in the evening whereas before I could drink coke and go straight to bed).
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    What on earth is a "double big gulp"?

It's a 44oz drink from the 7-11 chain of gas stations.
  • BuffingButtons
    BuffingButtons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1500 calorie goal and 100 oz of Diet Coke? I recommend you talk with your doctor and see if there are other alternatives for you. Do you also consume that much in water daily? Water is very important to weight loss and exercise. Drinking that much Diet Coke with your calorie goal has me concerned for kidney stone development.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    1500 calorie goal and 100 oz of Diet Coke? I recommend you talk with your doctor and see if there are other alternatives for you. Do you also consume that much in water daily? Water is very important to weight loss and exercise. Drinking that much Diet Coke with your calorie goal has me concerned for kidney stone development.

"Water" is not important to weight loss or exercise. Liquid is important.

Dark colas do increase the risk of kidney stones.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Main ingredient in soda is water.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I get most of my water from diet soda, tea, coffee, and watery veg.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people eat just so they will have something to do with their mouth. They don't think about it that way, but if you are constantly drinking something then it fulfills the desire to do something with your mouth so you don't eat as much.