macro help

Options
hi all i been using this site for just over week but I having some problems keeping all my macros in the green, my carbs and protein regularly go slightly into the red but my calories are fine does this matter or is it ok as long as I am below my calories for the day if not which is better to go over carbs or proteins?

Replies

• Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Protein for sure! It keeps you feeling fuller and helps muscle growth. Iifym.com is an amazing site for macros. Most people need more protein than mfp recommends as its default if you want to tone up. But if they're close and stressing over it causes you to get off track its better keep at a calorie deficit.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always manage to be at a calorie deficit I mean today i have planned my meals and i am way below calories and fats but carbs are 11 over
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Options
    The day to day can fluctuate. Weekly macros and deficits are more important. But that's not that much over. Its quite difficult (at least for me) to get macros 100% but I try to even them out and eat 35% protein. You're doing good for your first week just keep at it :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Personally if you're only in your first week I would concentrate on getting used to the calorie counting first without worrying too much about macros. There's some helpful info on this post here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38752373#Comment_38752373
  • MerchantJohn
    MerchantJohn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. IMO - Typically if you are going over protein & carbs but still not hitting your calories then you are being really clean which is good. Try to get to your calories first, then second to that is the macro if you are going over by an even amount for each then its balanced so its all good! Don't be afraid of good fats in fact i encourage them. I use things like Udo's oil which will soon shoot up those missing calories and they are super essential oils for the mind and body! Keep up the good work and don't get too fixated on the number especially the scales.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    thanks for tips i am gonna need to add some healthy fats i think my fat might be to low today its at 21/68 and i havent added my gym session yet
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Options
    Chia seeds, nuts/seeds in general, meat, cheese/dairy, and avocado.
  • bluesmama5000
    bluesmama5000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    razzapool wrote: »
    hi all i been using this site for just over week but I having some problems keeping all my macros in the green, my carbs and protein regularly go slightly into the red but my calories are fine does this matter or is it ok as long as I am below my calories for the day if not which is better to go over carbs or proteins?

Everything I have read says we must keep our macros in line as close as possible. If you're over by -5 or less you are okay.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    razzapool wrote: »

Everything I have read says we must keep our macros in line as close as possible. If you're over by -5 or less you are okay.

Human bodies aren't that picky. A wide range of macros will work. You want at least enough protein and at least enough fat. The rest of what you eat is up to what works best with your preferred way of eating and perhaps your body composition goals if you are bodybuilding.

The US government recommends carbs at 45%-65% of calories, protein at 10%-35%, and fat at 20%-35%. Outside those ranges can be fine too as long as you get at least enough fat and protein. For example, low carb eaters tend to have more fat and fewer carbs than those suggested ranges but can still get adequate nutrition.