Does anyone eat a big breakfest?

Options
I am so good all day and then the night eating starts. I have tried no breakfest and then just protein breakfest. Does anyone have a big breakfest to stop snacking the rest of the day?

Replies

• Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I train before breakfast..normally between 4am-6am, so I find that I am really hungry in the morning, and I love a big breakfast. I find that if I have a good breakfast I am less likely to be hungry later.

I am also learning from playing around with my macros, that I want to eat more carbs in the morning too. I am no expert, but I would have a play around with your food and see what works best for you..don't be afraid to try different options.

I should also point out that I don't always eat what is classed as a traditional 'breakfast' at breakfast time. I have been known to have a chicken salad for breakfast, and my overnight oats mid afternoon.
  • NewSouthernBelle
    NewSouthernBelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm between 550-650 calories for a breakfast (out of around 1600 daily in total). I usually eat eggs/meat, veggies, fruit and fat (nuts, seeds). If I eat too few calories for breakfast (or too little fat/protein), I'm very likely to overdo snacking prior to lunch or after dinner.
  • Emilyrae1012
    Emilyrae1012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only do a 40cal slice of bread, with 0 Cal spray butter and 2 egg whites. 80 Cal for breakfast, and that works for me. I'm also only doing 1200 cal/day.
  • jenbeck18
    jenbeck18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only do a 40cal slice of bread, with 0 Cal spray butter and 2 egg whites. 80 Cal for breakfast, and that works for me. I'm also only doing 1200 cal/day.

I am thinking the carbs may help me in the morning.I may try that to.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nope. I need my night food. No breakfast for me. Even in maintenance, no more than 200 cals for breakfast.
  • lynnie4
    lynnie4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have 400 cal for brunch soup or fruit mid afternoon and the rest of my 1200 for dinner
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If I know I won't have a snack before lunch, heck ya I'm going to fuel up! My go-to is something with eggs, maybe a protein wrap, and bacon (because BACON!). Maybe a smoothie.

But I really do best with snacks in am and pm. For me snacks are the answer not the problem.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I will eat some roasted almonds that have some coconut oil on them, and a few turkey sausage links. If I am working out, I may have a small portion of steel cut oats and some fruit as well. The protein keeps me full and from snacking. The carbs/sugar from the oats and fruit give me the juice for a longer workout.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why do you think a big breakfast will stop your snacking at night? And WHY do you eat so much at night? Are you hungry? If so then perhaps eating a large breakfast will help. Are you bored? If so you may just want to set aside more calories for night or munch on lower calorie foods like vegetables if your eating is mindless. Or take up knitting or something to keep your hands busy.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    On days when I'm out on the farm at 5 AM and the temperature's in the single digits, I start with a bulletproof coffee, go out and feed the chickens and horses, then come in and have three or four eggs over easy, 3 or 4 strips of bacon, maybe a couple of sausage links, too...a stack of pancakes slathered with sweet butter and real maple syrup, a side of hash browns with peppers and onions and a drizzle of brown gravy, 3 or 4 slices of good whole grain bread, toasted, with butter and raspberry jam, more coffee, this time with heavy cream...maybe a slice of apple pie with a slab of cheddar melted on top, to finish off...this is usually enough to keep me warm and moving 'til lunch. ;-)

But most days I'm in NYC, I drive 40 miles to work, and eat between 400 and 500 calories of eggs, meat and veggies or fruit for breakfast, then sit at a desk all day. I find that for me, the fat and protein is what keeps me from snacking until lunch. Your results may vary.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    I am so good all day and then the night eating starts. I have tried no breakfest and then just protein breakfest. Does anyone have a big breakfest to stop snacking the rest of the day?
    I'm eating 1/4 of my calories for breakfast, but I'm not sure if that's what you want to know. You may want to find the answer to these questions:

What do you mean by good all day? Undereating? Or just eating boring "healthy" food?
    Are there no other alternatives besides no breakfast, protein breakfast and big breakfast? Do you want to eat breakfast? What do you like to eat for breakfast?
    To stop snacking, you have to stop snacking. Do you need to stop snacking? Do you want to stop snacking? Are you able to stop snacking? Are getting enough good food through the day so you can cut it out without harm? Or would you rather allocate some calories for later snacking?
    Are you bored, do you just need to find something else to do?
    Do you need to be more disciplined to stay away from food when it's not time to eat?
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have a huge breakfast at around 4:00 a.m. before the gym. I don't count calories so I can't comment on that but I don't believe it's too high. What I eat is a large serving of roasted vegetable and egg white casserole topped with shredded chicken, salsa and kimchi. The only snack I have throughout the day is when I get to work at 8 which is usually mexican cauliflower rice and chicken (small serving).
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »

I love a big breakfast but try to save my calories for later in the day.

Now, I try to ensure my breakfast has enough fat/protein so that I don't get the munchies before lunch.
    My standard is oatmeal with a couple tbsp of peanut butter.

I also try to keep a babybel cheese snack handy in case I do get some mid morning munchies.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast during breakfast hours only sets me up for hunger all day long. I usually don't eat my first meal until sometime between 2-5 pm.

It's good that you are trying different methods to find what works best for you. Are you eating enough calories during the day and are you eating the foods that satiate you?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat a large breakfast daily and by 9:00 AM I am going for my first snack. I also eat lunch and dinner but never eat after dinner.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes it's the only way I can keep myself from going over my calories later in the day. Breakfast for me is quite literally the most important meal of my day!

I have followed my eating patterns carefully and if I don't eat a large breakfast I am starving the rest of the day and never am able to catch up so I end up eating way more calories than usual and also I can't stop at my limit.

I'm sure some people are able to eat differently but for my body it just doesn't work to eat equal meals or a large dinner.
  • slatkabundeva
    slatkabundeva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat differently depending on what is going on. During work I eat a bunch of small meals because I like snacking on my breaks and I don't have time to enjoy big meals. On the weekends however I have a more rounded 3 meals because I love being full and satisfied. Either way I find having about 1/3 to 1/2 my calories for dinner helps a lot with the night eating. I like to start with salad and maybe popcorn just for the fullness and then have a smaller portion of my favorite food. I find having a hot beverage like tea helps a lot too before bed.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat a decent 400ish calorie breakfast of high fiber cereal/almond milk, then mid-morning I eat a high protein snack to go with it (usually a high fiber english muffin, egg, turkey sausage, cheese) for another 350ish calories. Does me great until lunch. At lunch I keep it high protein whenever possible, eggs/tuna/leftover chicken/etc. to keep me going until dinner. At dinner I eat again a high protein meal with plenty of vegetables of whatever variety I like, usually in the 700-900 calorie range, then I tend to eat a late snack of high fiber low sugar ice cream to round out my fiber macros for the day. Keeps me lean, regular, and satiated most days. If i get the munchies during the week I usually chew gum. If I get the munchies on the weekends I indulge with a high fiber/high protein/low fat snack of some sort and simply work out a bit more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My breakfasts are 500-700 calories. I eat a somewhat smaller lunch (or no lunch at all) and then a bigger dinner and often a small snack before bed.

My normal breakfast:
    2-3 eggs
    44 g steel cut oats (cooked) with 14 g cheese on top OR 2 slices wheat bread (toasted)
    200 grams fruit and/or veggies
    8 oz. whole or 2% milk
    coffee
    7 grams coconut oil (to cook the eggs)
    optional: bacon

Lunch would be raw veggies and either yogurt or cottage cheese

Dinner is grilled meat and veggies most nights.

Bedtime snack - 1 slice bread, 24 g peanut butter, 8 oz. milk