Help with "Barbie Doll Hair"

I swim 3-4 times a week, our gym has a salt water pool.
It's destroying my hair, it feels like Barbie Doll hair!!! I do use a conditioner that is supposedly good for salt water damage, but it doesn't seem to help much.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited February 2017
    Do you wet your hair, put conditioner on and then a swim cap? If your hair is already saturated it can't take in anymore water.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Wear a swim cap.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    edited February 2017
    There are clarifying shampoos you can get that are specifically designed to take out chlorine. Could you go to a swim store and find out if there is one formulated for salt water? Otherwise, I also like the idea of preconditioning. I've never tried it but it seems like it would help. You could always try the chorline removing shampoos too. Maybe they will work (but they are drying too so conditioning lots becomes important).

Maybe on your off days, when you shower, don't use shampoo at all, just use conditioner everywhere. It still has cleansing properties. It might take a while for your hair to get used to it, but maybe doing that will help.
  • aki619
    aki619 Posts: 15 Member
    When I was swimming regularly, I used special shampoo and conditioner after I spent time in the pool. It is called "Ultra Swim" and I got it at Walmart, or on Amazon, both fairly cheap. I would also follow it up with a leave in conditioner, such as Infusium. Before getting in the pool, wet hair, spray some leave in conditioner on it, and wear a swim cap.
  • dwisehart
    dwisehart Posts: 36 Member
    I swim--and shower--every day. I used to shampoo every time and I tried some "swim" shampoos without great success. Now I just condition during each shower and only shampoo every few days, whenever my hair feels dirty. This has helped a lot.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Most swim shampoos are formulated for chlorine rather than salt water. Ask other swimmers at your pool or ask your hairdresser. I use a chlorine pool & like to precondition & wear a cap.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Definitely get your hair WET before swimming, and use a cap. My hairdresser said that my hair was getting dry and frizzy. It happens mostly in winter-nails and skin are affected too. She suggested putting a little bit of coconut oil in it. Now I use that as the only product in my hair. Yes, it's oily, but I have curly hair, so it looks like product to make my curls bounce. I was just in for a cut last weekend and she said it's helping. Also, find a good leave-in conditioner. I was ready to cut my hair short, it was so frizzy :(
  • hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    Thanks for the replies! Lots of good things to try.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Do you wet your hair, put conditioner on and then a swim cap? If your hair is already saturated it can't take in anymore water.

This. Wet your hair with tap water first.

To remedy your hair now, pick up a clarifying swimmers shampoo then a moisturizing deep treatment. Always wash hair with tap water after getting out of the pool as well.