I have 10 hens and more eggs then I can handle... help me eat them!!

Options

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Fried rice - it's also a good way to use up bits of leftover veg & meat (I like to use cauliflower rice)
    French Toast/Bread pudding/Breakfast casseroles
    Egg salad (with avocado is especially yummy!)
    Huevos Rancheros
    Carbonara http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/spaghetti-alla-carbonara/
    Custards/puddings
    Ice Cream (use the whites to make angel food cake to go with it!) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-ice-cream-recipe

I'd love to have some chickens! Maybe some day...
  • bossyblackdog
    bossyblackdog Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    The food pantry is a great way to get rid of extra eggs. If they are registered as a non profit you may be able to deduct the donation on y our taxes.
    About the turkeys- like, to eat them, or for the eggs?

To eat I assume! I actually didn't even consider that there would be more eggs.. can you eat turkey eggs? The ducks are 7 months old and have never laid an egg. Its a bit weird. They are Indian Runners and we actually have them for keeping slugs out of the garden in the summer, so its fine, but I worry there is a health problem. Other then that they seem totally healthy
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    spend a little time on YouTube searching ... however, I find a lot more Eastern European recipes using eggs in soups, stuffings and fillings.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i thought this was going to be a free mail order egg offer, and i was totally down. lol. i should stop reading thread titles literally.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Start talking to people! Sell them or trade for other stuff (meat, produce, whatever people have in excess). Stick a sign up on the fence at the entrance to your property and let people come to you. :)

And yes, sharing is always nice. But don't be shy to sell your farm eggs.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Chess pie is so good with fresh farm eggs! There are chocolate versions too http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-chess-pie
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree with giving them away/selling them at the office.
    I have a home-bakery business, and I'd love to have some local eggs. It's not only a marketing plus, but it would improve the product too.
    Angel food cake/pound cake takes up a lot of eggs. I know it's not healthy, but if you're having trouble giving the actual eggs away...people take cake much easier. And angel food cake is not that bad for you.
    You could also use the whites for meringues.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    meatloaf and fill it in the centre with boiled eggs and ham.use the egg whites for meringues as a low cal. dessert and the yolks for something like a lemon custard,or creme brulee (with or without the brulee part).
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Most of my yeast breads (I make big batches) take at 4-5 eggs. So look there too.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Oh yeah -- there's always egg salad/tuna salad! I love egg salad.
    I know people around here who put boiled eggs in cornbread dressing (or stuffing).
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The frittata recipe I use calls for 8 eggs for 4 serves - saute onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini - actually anything really, and some herbs (I like oregano) - until soft, then pour 8 beaten eggs over top. Top with a couple ounces of grated cheese (feta, or cheddar, or whatever you like). Cover and cook until set, about 12 minutes. Use a 8 or 9 inch pan for this, and you get a nice, deep yummy dish good for breakfast, brunch or dinner. I bring this to work for lunch many times and just reheat in the microwave.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh lord this will be me soon. Hubby wants to expand to turkeys next year, and I am actively working to keep the goat at bay (I have heard stories of people heading out of the house in the morning and finding the goat standing on top of their car!). We have 8 acres... it started with a couple hens.. grew to hens and ducks... I hear rumors of turkeys coming...

Definitely do it, sell them. At the farmers market where I used to shop all the eggs were sold out by 7 am...and I do mean 7 am!! People will kill for eggs and I did too.
    As for the turkeys, they had some turkey eggs too and I tried them. They were good, sold out as well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Soufflé!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Quiche, frittatas, breakfast burritos...

You can also use the yolks to make your own mayonnaise.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    What I would give for this problem!! We had 5 people and could only have 3 hens. The girls rarely kept up...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Egg salad and bake lots of cakes!

Maybe premake some frittatas to keep in the freezer for easy grab and go breakfasts. Quiche.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Homemade pasta. Dry it and store in the freezer.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My husband makes 8 eggs every morning (for himself and the kids) and a dozen Saturday and another dozen on Sunday. I need chickens!

When egg prices were high (a year ago?) Some bird flu that killed a bunch of hens I couldn't afford enough eggs for the family every week!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Bread, rolls, cake, muffins, cookies, pasta. Meatloaf, meatballs. Veggie burgers, falafel. Pancakes, french toast. You can freeze all of these.