Why healthy diet and exercise is not enough, and what works!

Options
So I am ALMOST to my goal and wasn't planning to post in "success stories" until I was, but I think this is just too important and wanted to share...

I was just looking through my progress photos and I just can't get over this: on the left is December 2015, middle is September 2016, right is yesterday (February 2017). So from left to middle was 9 months of consistently working out and eating "healthy". I was training with weights for an hour 2 to 3 times a week including sessions with a personal trainer, doing hiit cardio, walks, hiking, and eating "clean" as in whole real mostly organic foods and not much of anything packaged or processed, no fast food, minimal refined sugar, no alcohol... and what did I have to show for it? Some slightly more toned arms. Ugh. Middle to right pic is 4.5 months of the same type of workouts, similar diet (actually a little less strict), but with calorie counting using myfitnesspal and eating proper macros- in particular consuming adequate protein (I used to eat way too little protein, and obviously too many calories). Huge difference, right?! Much better results and in half the time! This really goes to show that exercise and even a healthy diet just isn't enough if you don't have your calories and macros right. Luckily with Myfitnesspal it's easy to do that. So glad I kept trying and found the way to do this thing- it would have been easy to give up after not seeing results for so long. Finally feeling and looking the way I want to, and only a few more pounds to go!

5o1qy683t1qs.jpg
p7djnkzxosc7.jpg

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Replies

• ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yup same experience. I always tried losing weight by eating healthier and exercise but never lost much until mfp. I'm very grateful for this site. I he decided to lose another 5-10lbs so I'm back at logging but during my few months of maintaining I didn't even have to really log because now I can kinda tell how much I'm eating a day but to lose I need it.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    whoa! Looks like I need to pay more attention to macros! (amazing transformation BTW)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    whoa! Looks like I need to pay more attention to macros! (amazing transformation BTW)

I highly recommend it!!
    And thank you!
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I've been wondering if I needed to think about macros since I'm only a month into this journey. I've heard "yes" and "no."
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    Thanks for this! I've been wondering if I needed to think about macros since I'm only a month into this journey. I've heard "yes" and "no."

It might depend how much you have to lose, how disciplined you already are, what your goals are... A lot of people just starting out have a hard enough time to hit calorie targets, so usually you see people recommending to start there. Then as they go a long, work the macros.

OP - Nice job!! I just started looking at my macros, but they can certainly make a difference.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look terrific!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds starting in January 2016 (size 10 maybe) and ending in mid-December 2016 (size 0/2). Calories were 100% of that. I didn't pay the least bit of attention to tracking macros. I was eating low fat, high carb (fiber), if I had to generalize, because it was easier to eat more physical bulk that way, which helped me feel fuller. I am guessing protein was also on the low side since I don't care for many protein-heavy foods.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Want to trim the spare tire down, build and firm up the rest! I'm at a healthy weight for my frame, but want to reduce my BMI and replace with muscle.

Basically, I want to look good in cute clothes and feel confident in a bikini. So vain.

Don't want to hijack OPs thread, though!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Want to trim the spare tire down, build and firm up the rest! I'm at a healthy weight for my frame, but want to reduce my BMI and replace with muscle.

Basically, I want to look good in cute clothes and feel confident in a bikini. So vain.

Don't want to hijack OPs thread, though!

For what you're trying to do I would suggest a weight lifting/resistance training program and dialing in your macros. I think you mean reduce BF%? BMI is just your height to weight ratio. Also once you are at a healthy weight with not much to lose you can't quickly gain muscle and lose fat at the same time- you can either bulk for a little while (gain muscle and fat), then cut (lose fat) to get that firmer buffer less flabby look you want. Or you could just try to keep the muscle you have and reduce your body fat, in that case just do a caloric deficit and keep training your muscles so you lose fat not muscle. Or you could do recomposition which is a much slower process but you keep calories at maintenance and train your muscles. Any of these approaches requires proper macros and calories, but different ones for each. Most importantly get in adequate protein each day, that is universal no matter which approach you decide to take.

But yeah you probably want to start a new thread if you're interested in getting advice from others and not just me. Also I'm no expert, just my personal opinion.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds starting in January 2016 (size 10 maybe) and ending in mid-December 2016 (size 0/2). Calories were 100% of that. I didn't pay the least bit of attention to tracking macros. I was eating low fat, high carb (fiber), if I had to generalize, because it was easier to eat more physical bulk that way, which helped me feel fuller. I am guessing protein was also on the low side since I don't care for many protein-heavy foods.

I'm glad that worked for you. I however got a lot of negative health effects from consuming too little protein- low energy, low muscle tone & strength, thin brittle hair and nails, dry skin, bad immune system... all better now that I get enough. also if you consume too little protein while in a caloric deficit you can lose muscle mass which makes it eventually harder to maintain the weight lost because a higer muscle mass means higher BMR/metabolism, and lower muscle mass means lower BMR/metabolism... so you have to maintain a very low calorie intake in order to not regain the weight. Not that this happened in your case, just something to be careful of and why adequate protein is generally recommended.

Great job on your weight loss!! That must feel fantastic!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

It might depend how much you have to lose, how disciplined you already are, what your goals are... A lot of people just starting out have a hard enough time to hit calorie targets, so usually you see people recommending to start there. Then as they go a long, work the macros.

OP - Nice job!! I just started looking at my macros, but they can certainly make a difference.

This is excellent advice and basically what I'm doing. I focus on calories first, because that is where the weight loss comes from, but I do have macro goals set and observe how close I get to them daily. I don't obsess over hitting them, but am aware of what foods get me where to help me make better choices. Maybe when I get to maintenance and have more to work with I'll adhere to a macro diet.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your hard work is finally paying off, OP. You look fabulous!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I'm glad your hard work is finally paying off, OP. You look fabulous!

Awe, thank you!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is amazing..and you actually look maybe a bit bigger in the second photo! you are so right though..we get so discouraged because we exercise and eat right..when really we need to shave those extra calories off.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    It is amazing..and you actually look maybe a bit bigger in the second photo! you are so right though..we get so discouraged because we exercise and eat right..when really we need to shave those extra calories off.

Right? I was just noticing that! less double chin and slimmer arms, but the rest is the same or bigger! Thats why I hate the old "move more, eat less" simplification... Move how much more? Eat how much less? I never felt like I was eating too much when I was overweight, and when I would try to eat "less" I would often end up eating way too little and then get too hungry and end up eating more... and I was working out a lot with no results so moving "more" than that was intimidating and probably impossible for my schedule! And as it turns out unnecessary anyways. All that is needed is an appropriate caloric deficit and to track food intake.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @ OP Can I ask how is your daily Macros distribution? Did you started losing any faster? TY looking great!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    @ OP Can I ask how is your daily Macros distribution? Did you started losing any faster? TY looking great!

Mine are 25% protein, 25% fat, and 50% carbs. I set my calories and macros up myself following more of an IIFYM approach, not with the traditional myfitnesspal settings (and don't eat back exercise calories). My calorie intake is 1500 right now, but it was higher to start and I drop it every time I lose a few pounds. I try to keep my calorie intake at about 300 calories less than TDEE (which ends up about 150 calories over my BMR).

Remember everyone's macronutrients ratios will be a bit different because they're not directly proportional. Protein is based on your weight or lean mass (depending what formula you use) and activity level and exercise (FYI I like to get at least 90 grams of protein a day for my needs), fat is based on body weight, and carbs are the remainder of your calories. Your total calories depends on a lot of things including your chosen deficit (or weight loss rate). My deficit is fairly mild at 300 calories (around 0.3 pounds per week loss rate), so my carbs are higher. If my deficit was larger my protein and fat grams would stay the same but my carbs and total calories would be less- which means my ratios would be totally different. That's why one person's macronutrients ratio won't necessarily work for someone else.

Before I started using myfitnesspal to lose weight I tracked my normal daily diet for a while. That showed me that my protein was way too low, carbs and calories were way too high. My fats were also quite high at that time. I wasn't losing any weight while eating this way and wasn't very strong either. Once I figured out how to calculate my calories and macros and implemented that the change was drastic. I immediately began losing weight and gaining strength simultaneously.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats, OP, looking good!

@JennyRATL
    If you feel ready to look at macros-e.g. not too overwhelmed at the moment, certainly do so. A proper amount of protein will help retain muscle mass (along with strength training) and a proper balance can help keep you satiated, not to mention healthy. I started at 300+ lbs and started balancing my macro percentages from the beginning, under the guidance of my trainer. I think the reason you see some "no's" is because macros aren't ESSENTIAL to weight loss and many people are overwhelmed with the logging basics.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats, OP, looking good!

@JennyRATL
    If you feel ready to look at macros-e.g. not too overwhelmed at the moment, certainly do so. A proper amount of protein will help retain muscle mass (along with strength training) and a proper balance can help keep you satiated, not to mention healthy. I started at 300+ lbs and started balancing my macro percentages from the beginning, under the guidance of my trainer. I think the reason you see some "no's" is because macros aren't ESSENTIAL to weight loss and many people are overwhelmed with the logging basics.

^^This. When you are ready, start watching protein. Out of the three it is the one that has the greatest impact on the downsides of losing weight. Next thing I started watching was fibre for "personal" reasons. That's as far as I've gotten so far.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »

Mine are 25% protein, 25% fat, and 50% carbs. I set my calories and macros up myself following more of an IIFYM approach, not with the traditional myfitnesspal settings (and don't eat back exercise calories). My calorie intake is 1500 right now, but it was higher to start and I drop it every time I lose a few pounds. I try to keep my calorie intake at about 300 calories less than TDEE (which ends up about 150 calories over my BMR).

Remember everyone's macronutrients ratios will be a bit different because they're not directly proportional. Protein is based on your weight or lean mass (depending what formula you use) and activity level and exercise (FYI I like to get at least 90 grams of protein a day for my needs), fat is based on body weight, and carbs are the remainder of your calories. Your total calories depends on a lot of things including your chosen deficit (or weight loss rate). My deficit is fairly mild at 300 calories (around 0.3 pounds per week loss rate), so my carbs are higher. If my deficit was larger my protein and fat grams would stay the same but my carbs and total calories would be less- which means my ratios would be totally different. That's why one person's macronutrients ratio won't necessarily work for someone else.

Before I started using myfitnesspal to lose weight I tracked my normal daily diet for a while. That showed me that my protein was way too low, carbs and calories were way too high. My fats were also quite high at that time. I wasn't losing any weight while eating this way and wasn't very strong either. Once I figured out how to calculate my calories and macros and implemented that the change was drastic. I immediately began losing weight and gaining strength simultaneously.

Cool thanks!!
    I have mine 30% protein/20 fat/50 carbs
    It works just fine for me :)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!