Thyroid problems and weight gain

Options
Hi. I'm tricia I started gaining weight in my teenage years. It just gradually got worse in y 20s. After having my firstborn now I'm considered morbidly obese on my doctors notes. I hate that term, but I am total committed this round. I'm 38 and have 4 beautiful children that keep me going. Now I have a problem I have been dieting since January 7th, of this year and exercising as well. Well I have been stuck at my same weight it literally want budge! I think it's my thyroid levels they were up I am hypo which is underactive thyroid. I just started a new medicine as well and it's finally going down my levels are, but I need the weight to go. I haven't even had a cheat day or slipped I feel horrible like why am I trying when I can't lose this!!! Anyone else have this problem please share some tips thx...

Replies

• ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Until your thyroid is at a controlled level you cannot do much. I gain 10 lbs in a blink when mine is under treated with no changes to anything. You just need to continue eating according to your calorie goals. Make sure you weigh and measure everything properly and log everything you eat. Keep building on those healthy habits while you let the meds do their thing. I also find it helpful to take pictures and measurements because sometimes the number on the scale doesn't move but your body changes. Don't get discouraged. It will happen for you!
  • jaystacers
    jaystacers Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes Tricia!!! Same exact problem here! Have you ever been tested for PCOS ( Poly cystic ovarian syndrome) It also causes weight gain, hair on places you do not want such as mustache, beard hairs ect..... it causes either missed periods or really really bad heavy periods. I was always very thin. 103 lbs 5'7" I started gaining after I had my son at 19 years old and went up to 218 lbs. At 36 they did a sonogram and found out that I have PCOS which causes weight gain that is very hard to lose, but I did I lost 25lbs. I got down to 193 lbs. This Novemeber I broke out with hives and Angio edema. My weight went from 193 to 225 lbs. in 8 weeks. My doctor said my Thyroid levels were off and that I looked like I may have an issue with Hypothyroidism but that they were not going to treat it because it might go back down on its own. They prescribed me Metformin for my PCOS the day before yesterday! They should have given me that to begin with because in 2 days I lost 5 lbs. I am 39 years old a mom to a 20 year old. I will add you and maybe we can offer each other some support. The advice I can offer to you is how I lost the 25 lbs. the first time. Count all of your calories. Get a food scale and literally count all calories. Stay away from bread, pastas, basically carbs some carbs are o.k. but as little as possible (this one is very hard for me I crave carbs!). Try to eat more protein. Cardio is important, so I made sure I got in 30 minutes of cardio a day 6 days a week, but also make sure you do weights also, because weights are just as important. Make yourself drink 8 glasses of water a day. This one is up to you but after I have had my 8 glasses of water I allow myself to have one coke a night with dinner as long as my calorie intake allows. I do allow myself one cheat day a week on Sundays, by cheat day I mean I eat like I do all week but I allow myself to have one peice of cake, or one candy bar, or 6 cookies. Not yay its cheat day let me eat that entire cheesecake! LOL. Although it is very tempting. Sorry to go on and on but I know what you are experiencing. I am in the same boat and it is so difficult. MFP works as long as you follow it! You can do it!
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to read all of this because I am going through the same thing. I just found out I have to have my Thyroid completely removed. I am struggling trying to lose weight so I know my situation with my Thyroid is getting worse. I appreciate your comments to the OP. They are very helpful. I will continue to work out and measure my food. Honestly, I just really started giving my work out a 100% and I am starting to see results. I do some in the morning and some and night and try to walk at lunch time. The scale was fluctuating previously but in the last few days the scale is going down. Thank God