I've let it go for too long! No more excuses!

Options
I'm a 20 year Army vet with some significant injuries. I've made excuses for the last 4 years as to why I can't get back into shape. The injuries prevent certain activities but that's no excuse to let myself go. I'll never be my old 205# w/ 7% bf but I WILL get back under 200# and get this bf percentage back to a respectable level. I started this journey back at 225# and my short term goal is sub 200# at 2# per week loss.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP...look forward to following your journey!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You've got the right mindset to succeed. Just remember two things... go slow and steady, developing new, good habits; and every old injury can be worked around.

For example, I have 30 yr old lower back injury, I can't lift weights over my head or do squats (weight on shoulders) without detrimental spine compression. So, I bench press instead. By concentrating on my form, I can control the exercises and thereby avoid irritating the old injuries (there are several).
  • willkruck
    willkruck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I know the struggles of being a Veteran. Our daily routine of doing PT 5 days a week and the physical demands of our jobs. You have one body, so we need to take care of it. Getting back into a workout routine is the hard part once you make it a part of your daily routine it becomes second nature. Proud of you in recognizing that you need to do something about your body. Eat right and workout regularly make it a lifestyle and have fun with your excerise. Change it up once and a while, I could go on for days but I have already said to much. Let know how things are working out for you.
  • OlySteve68
    OlySteve68 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words! I'm only a few days into this lifestyle change but I will exceed the goals I've set for myself.