Can someone help me decipher what this chart means

Options
2»

Replies

• thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question about this chart too. Something I have been trying to understand but not sure if I am getting the wrong end of the stick.
    The bottom figure ...the goal is your daily reduced calorie amount. So how come the top number that says you are either under your net calories weekly or over makes the difference when projecting what you are under or over by? ( if this makes senc?).
    If you eat at the reduced amount MFP works out for you then you should already be in a deficit? So how come the bar is lowered even more to be under your net weekly carlories intake( or over)

I'm not sure I am explaining this very well
    Example. My daily calorie intake MFP worked out for me is 1530 and this is to lose 1.5 lbs per week. So a deficit of approx 750 calories.....
    so the fact that I am eating 750 less per day means I should already be losing at that rate ( which I am by the way) so why is the weekly net under/over so important if the deficit is already there?

Sorry if I confused anyone!

It's showing you how close you are to hitting your full required deficit for the week. Say it showed 3500 over your weekly goal, that would mean not losing a 1lb that week. Your goal is the number required for the loss entered. Over or under will mean more or less of a loss that week.[/quote

* facepalm* sorry and thank you for exposing that. I overthought it far too much! ]
  • chriseema
    chriseema Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Being 1627 over your weekly goal means that you'll lose .5 lb less than if you'd eaten at goal every day. (1 lb is 3500 cals, so 1627 is about half that.) As others have said, 2 lb per week is too aggressive a loss rate for your small size. Set up a plan that is sustainable, .5 lb per week as others suggested.

As others have also said, I wanted to lose 2 lbs a MONTH, not week!
    Did you manually change your calorie goal to 1100/day?

I might have by accident! I want it to be 1200 though. I made this account on a phone, so it's been syncing poorly.
    I think that part of the confusion is stemming from the fact that you changed your calorie goal from 1100 to 1200 between Saturday and Sunday. (Notice that the line between green and red is at 1100 for Thurs/Fri/Sat then moves up to 1200 for Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed.)

I'm also going to question your numbers. I plugged your stats into a TDEE calculator ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ), listing you as sedentary. It suggests that you burn about 1600 calories/day. So, you would have gotten a goal of 1100 cals/day to lose 1 pound/week - not 0.5 pounds/week. To lose 0.5 pounds/week, you're looking at eating about 1350 cals/day. Which is what you did, so you're on track for the goal you mentioned in your original post.

So, I suspect you manually entered both the 1100 goal and the 1200 goal? Try letting MFP pick your goal calories for you (with 0.5 pounds/week as your weight loss goal). That will give you a better calorie target that you'll likely be more able to stick to.

I met with a nutritionist who took my BF % and my actual metabolic rate of burning calories which is 1450-1500. Please don't question that further! I have done my homework, it's the app I was worried about.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    chriseema wrote: »
    I met with a nutritionist who took my BF % and my actual metabolic rate of burning calories which is 1450-1500. Please don't question that further! I have done my homework, it's the app I was worried about.

Good! Then stick with the 1200 goal, and the numbers will make more sense next week when you've had the same goal all week.
  • chriseema
    chriseema Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    chriseema wrote: »

Good! Then stick with the 1200 goal, and the numbers will make more sense next week when you've had the same goal all week.

Will do! I didn't want to have to delete my account or something to make the numbers normal. I'll just only look at next week.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Goal has been changed midweek (increased from 1100(?) to 1200). You can see that by the difference in where the green bar stops on different days. That will make the maths tricky for this week, as it will add up all the different goals for the different days in order to figure out your total amount over.

If you didn't deliberately change the goal, then it's a glitch. I wouldn't worry about it.