shape wear recommendations

Options
i used to have a great piece that was a an underwire bra (that miraculously fit) and went down into shorts that didn't ride up, roll up or stick out under short dresses. but that was approximately 1 million years ago.

does anyone have great shape wear that they love? i'd like to wear it under some dresses that are pretty short. i'm size 14ish currently with measurements of 45-37-42 if that's helpful. underwire bra optional, shorts preferred to slips but if it works, i'm down to try. also, if it's reasonably priced that would be a super bonus.

i've only tried spanx up to now, but i don't love them, i feel like they are always bunching, sliding or rolling over.

thank you!

200w.gif#101

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    also, is it shape wear or shapewear or is there a hyphen? blarg!
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Spanx has a lower end brand called Assets that is sold at Target. I wear the tanks and shorts under dresses and skirts. I have a long torso so the one piece shapers do not work for me.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love this one. I wore it under my wedding dress. It also worked well with my bachelorette party dress! It didn't ride up, or down, or anywhere :) It comes with straps, and it also hooks in the back like a bra.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARC2OUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Rago does some pretty darn good pieces. I go for the more traditional girdles and cinchers but that's because I wear pre-60s vintage and it gives an authentic silhouette but I expect all of their stuff is really good.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Oh and with Spanx, I put them on first, pull as high as I can right under my boobs, then put my bra on. Stops the downward creep as my bra is holding it in place.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    @CassondraKennedy thanks! Looked it up and they only have through D cups, I need a E or F, but super pretty, I'm sure it looked great.

@VintageFeline I'll try that with the spanx if I still have a pair. And I love the vintage silhouette- I have some orchard corsets and they definitely make an extreme hourglass, I just also enjoy the ability to sit down comfortably

@GrinnyMae I am short of torso and long of leg but separates sound like a good idea! I'll try target after work tomorrow.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Rago aren't boned! They're of the more comfy, slightly more emancipated woman variety of shapewear. But like I said, they also do more modern things like shorts etc.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    Rago aren't boned! They're of the more comfy, slightly more emancipated woman variety of shapewear. But like I said, they also do more modern things like shorts etc.

https://www.americanshapewear.com/cart/RAGO-Style-9057-Body-Briefer-Extra-Firm-Shaping.html

This is perfect! I wonder if I could squeeze into a DD.

Do you prefer firm or extra firm?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I'm of the firmer the better school of shapewear but I also wear corsets sometimes so make of that what you will.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Oh and with Spanx, I put them on first, pull as high as I can right under my boobs, then put my bra on. Stops the downward creep as my bra is holding it in place.

I second this. Works well for me. I have just not had good, consistent success with any other shapewear. I actually also bought a spanx slip to wear under my just above knee wedding dress a few months ago and surprisingly it was great and didn't roll up at all. It had an underwire with removable straps.

Fwiw, I saw this article on buzzfeed a few weeks ago where it compared spanx with the lower end assets brand. Seems the lower end is pretty comparable.
    https://buzzfeed.com/kristinchirico/i-tried-differently-types-of-spanx-and-heres-how-they-actual?utm_term=.reX6nRj11n#.gbXYV8lxxV
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »

I second this. Works well for me. I have just not had good, consistent success with any other shapewear. I actually also bought a spanx slip to wear under my just above knee wedding dress a few months ago and surprisingly it was great and didn't roll up at all. It had an underwire with removable straps.

Fwiw, I saw this article on buzzfeed a few weeks ago where it compared spanx with the lower end assets brand. Seems the lower end is pretty comparable.
    https://buzzfeed.com/kristinchirico/i-tried-differently-types-of-spanx-and-heres-how-they-actual?utm_term=.reX6nRj11n#.gbXYV8lxxV

thank you! i honestly hate most shapewear but i do enjoy the result. i got a white linen dress that's a bit sheer and i was thinking kill 2 birds with the one compression stone.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »

thank you! i honestly hate most shapewear but i do enjoy the result. i got a white linen dress that's a bit sheer and i was thinking kill 2 birds with the one compression stone.

Try to go for a nude shade. It may just be me but I want to scream at women who wera white underwear with white because I can see it. My own bias I know but for the love of all that's holy, if you don't want me gawping at your undies wear nude!