How early do you get up to exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• steph_runn44
    steph_runn44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried working out after work but I found I was sooo tired or I would come up with every excuse to not work out. Now I'm up at 5:20 and on the treadmill in my basement by 5:30. When we would have early morning workouts in college I used to dread them but now I like getting them done and out of the way.
  • AJbandit88
    AJbandit88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Having dogs is the main reason I get up so early. Every morning. Lol. But I have to get my workout in, train my dog, and get ready for work. So I get up at 5:45am, feed the dogs, change, go on a run with my malinois, eat breakfast, walk dogs and spend some time training my dog, get ready for work and be there by 8 am. Then at night I get home around 5:30pm, walk dogs, feed dogs, go to my small gym at home and do weights and maybe a little more cardio, work with dogs and eat supper. It's a crazy schedule but there's no time to sit around either so it keeps me moving.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have found that since i've started eating healthily I need much less sleep which is great. I have my own exercise bike so I have my alarm set for 6, i am usually naturally awake by 5:30 though. I have coffee and green tea then I use my bike for an hour. I love waking up early now, I just got in the habit.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    S3r3knitty wrote: »
    I am amazed that some stand up so early to excercise at home. Somehow that sounds even more difficult. I don't know if I would have the willpower for it. The bed would be too alluring :D.
    I'll try to stand up tomorrow at 5am for the first time. Wish me luck. It's just a 30mins workout at the gym but I decided I'll go to the sauna afterwards as a reward.

But there's no gold medals for people getting up early to exercise. A 30 minute workout done at 5 am or 5 pm is the same amount of calories!

And some people are early birds, some are night owls. Some people really can't get going at 4 am for a run and that's not anything negative about them. Not everyone can or should be getting up early to exercise. And while it's a praiseworthy thing to work out early, it should not be seen as some sort of character flaw if a person can't or doesn't want to. (Some early bird types get really annoyingly judgemental about this.)

So true. I'm an early bird (for workouts, I won't be able to do anything else). And I'm actually in owe of people that can work out at nights. I would NEVER go. Life happens all the time!! There would be excuses every night.

The trick I've found to avoid excuses at night is to not go home. Go straight from work to the gym.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I mostly workout at home. I get up at 4:45. I eat breakfast and have coffee beforehand, with the goal of starting my workout at 5:30.

Interesting. I always thought it was "wrong" to exercise after eating.
  • Chubby_to_Cut
    Chubby_to_Cut Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    None I work out after coming home from work for roughly 2-2.5 hours into the evening. Works so much better for me than early morning. I don't even have trouble sleeping contrary to most fitness reports that it wakes you up if you do PM work out sessions. Soon I'll take up the gym but prefer no distractions unless I wear blinders like a horse. Haha
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    up at 6, have some oats and coffee, start exercising by 7 and be finished by 8:30. After that, I shower, get ready for work, have another bite to eat, and be out the door by 10:20. on the weekends I get up at 8, my schedule is pretty much the same but my shift doesn't start until 1.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I currently work out in the evening but I realized I'm not giving it the best I could.

So I'm slowly training myself to get up earlier. I've gone from no way in hell am I awake before 7am to alarm rings at 5h30 and I'm awake (just not ready to leave the bed yet). If I can manage the awake and up status another 30 minutes earlier, I'll have time for a morning work out with enough time to cool down, shower and eat breakfast afterwards.

I'm actually looking forward to summer when it gets light enough out to actually do a morning run outside. That really motivates me to work on my sleep schedule. But it's baby steps :wink:
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I go to a 5:30 AM group training class and lift before, so I'll get up between 3:30 and 4 AM to get to the gym by 4:45 AM.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Between 530 and 7am depending on when i have to work. Its worth gwtting up because the gym isnt over run.
  • Ms_Consistency
    Ms_Consistency Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've tried to do my running and workout at night. Tooo much energy! 5:30 am workouts are hard at first but once you slowly ease into a routine, it's worth it. Up, get it done, move on with your day!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Up at 5 am for 40 mins on the treadmill before breakfast. Tues/Thur I do weightlifting after work.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Up at 4:30 on days that I go to the gym before work (about 3 x's/week) to get to the gym by 5:45. Other days I go after work or a bit later on Saturdays.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do my runs or gym sessions after work before going dancing (~6 pm).
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    5am weekends to get to the gym for 6am. Weekends I go after 9am unless I have an early class. It's quieter at those times