Working away and eating

Options
What will you have sitting in a restaurant? how do you count the calories in it. I guess it but it's not very accurate...

Can't turn round the the waitress/waiter and ask what each item of food weighs and how it's cooked! has crossed my mind though ha

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Chain restaurants have nutritional information online.

Not in a chain? Either use a comparable meal at a chain or log the components of the meal, guesstimating their weight. You get better at it the longer you've been weighing for.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yeah but the guessing could be wrong, could be dipping in unseen oil etc

I suppose McDonald's have calorie labels on...
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason why I don't add in my exercise calories. I don't weigh anything out of the house so I like that I have that 100-300 calorie buffer for just in case. I also try to be realistic about the actual calorie count of something and always err higher rather than lower.
  • Fataf99
    Options
    suck it up seems it, roughly 1000 cals you will loose roughly 2 pounds.

I lift the plate before and after ha

• Fataf99
    Options
    yeah I need to get back to the gym monkeymel, I'm busy like 12 hrs every day just struggle to fit it and keep motivated, bores the he'll outta me
  • Fataf99
    Options
    I've lost over 4 stone so far but been this weight for about 2 years. I'm 13.3 but need to be 11. it's slow just now I need to starve or work out really..
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat out?

I eat out 2-3x a week and am losing at my desired rate.

Use a food scale when you're at home and the more you use it, the more you will get an idea of what portions of things look like. Yes, there is more oil in restaurant cooking than at home, but you can always overestimate than under. Even if your log says you were 1000+ calories over for the day, if you overestimated on purpose, you could be under really under that amount, and that's what your body will see.

If you look at my diary entry for today, I had to estimate the calories for my lunch because it was take out. I did weigh out the chicken biryani but I used a reasonable entry I found on MFP after looking up info online. I quick added some calories as a buffer. So if I was wrong in my estimation, my diary has a buffer. But if I just so happened to be right about the calories in my lunch, then my body didn't ingest the 150 calories I quick added. So in that way, I benefit.
  • Fataf99
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How often do you eat out?

I eat out 2-3x a week and am losing at my desired rate.

Use a food scale when you're at home and the more you use it, the more you will get an idea of what portions of things look like. Yes, there is more oil in restaurant cooking than at home, but you can always overestimate than under. Even if your log says you were 1000+ calories over for the day, if you overestimated on purpose, you could be under really under that amount, and that's what your body will see.

If you look at my diary entry for today, I had to estimate the calories for my lunch because it was take out. I did weigh out the chicken biryani but I used a reasonable entry I found on MFP after looking up info online. I quick added some calories as a buffer. So if I was wrong in my estimation, my diary has a buffer. But if I just so happened to be right about the calories in my lunch, then my body didn't ingest the 150 calories I quick added. So in that way, I benefit.

4 nights in a restaurant 1 subway on a friday and cook my dinner at weekends.
    It's pretty much the oil content cause if they are using a lot it's going to rocket and you think ur doing well but in fact....
  • Fataf99
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well no lol.. i mean working out can help with a deficit but you really excersize for cardiovascular health. MFP uses the NEAT method which is where you are supposed to eat back your calories from excersize to eat more so that the already predetermined deficit they gave you does the job for your weight loss.. don't starve lol, but honestly, set a reasonable calorie goal, eat slightly under it, and if you have to eat out, log a fair amount of calories and just go with the flow until you are home again, let your body create its own deficit using MFP and any extras not logged will be taken care of over time, just like the weight you wanna lose will come off over time..

Yeah I hear ya but I'm hoping to loose 2 in time for summer so I need to be working this correctly. also if a properly under eat it makes me mess it up.
    If I'm not hungry before meal times and at night I'm not loosing and going wrong somewhere
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I eat out once a week at a local independent restaurant. I always have their 8 oz sirloin and a baked potato. I look up the calories on the USDA site and log it from there. I always log it as a large potato so I overestimate those calories. I know that the restaurant is pretty consistent with their meat so I don't worry about it being off.

If you eat pretty simple meals out, it is much easier to track. I also don't eat much that day prior to going out so I know I have about 1200 - 1400 calories to eat.
  • Fataf99
    Options
    yeah steak works with the weight can't really see how you can go wrong there