What are you all doing to burn so much?

Options
I workout 60 min everyday with a fitness program on my xbox and every 10 workouts it tracks my weight and heart rate in a fitness challenge so everytime I workout it says I'm only burning around 230 cals. I see where some people burn 500, 600 even up to 800 cals a day. Do I need to do more than 60 min? And what are you all doing to burn sooooo much?

Replies

• ToLoveMe
    ToLoveMe Posts: 16
    Options
    I workout 60 min everyday with a fitness program on my xbox and every 10 workouts it tracks my weight and heart rate in a fitness challenge so everytime I workout it says I'm only burning around 230 cals. I see where some people burn 500, 600 even up to 800 cals a day. Do I need to do more than 60 min? And what are you all doing to burn sooooo much?
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do tae-bo at my weight and height i burn about 650 calories every time, but if you weigh a lot less than me you don't burn quite as much :ohwell:
  • conkli39
    conkli39 Posts: 3
    Options
    it all depends on what type of workout it is....I burn around 600 to 900 calories a day by running 3 miles, biking 15 minutes, eliptical for 15 min, and weight lifting for 30 minutes...
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Are you happy with the success you're having with your routine? If so, I wouldn't worry about what others are doing compared to yourself.

I'm not familiar with the X-Box exercise routines so I'm going to guess that It's probably the type(s) of exercises people are doing versus what you're doing. I personally do 60 minutes on a ski machine, 25 minutes of weight training and another 15 minutes of other exercises my biggest calorie consumption is the ski machine and the level of resistance that I do it at. Others will probably have similar inputs.

Whether you do more each day is up to you and how long you've been into an exercise program but if you're just getting started I would suggest that you gradually increase the duration and / or the intensity of your workouts.
  • pegaleg
    pegaleg Posts: 10
    Options
    you may only burn 230 in the hr, BUT your metabolisum rate will stay high and you will burn more calories all day.
    But remember to eat the calories you burn, DON"T lose to fast or it won't stay off.
  • natileebee
    Options
    I burn 500 cal in an hour. I do the treadmill for 30 minutes at a slight incline and run for 10-15 minutes of that. Then I do weight, and streaching. The key is to keep your heart rate up. If I do a "light" workout and don't get my heart rate up, I'll only burn around 300 in an hour. I would say to buy a heart rate monitor so you know for sure how hard you are working out, and bump up the workouts for more calorie burn.
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I used to use DDR a lot as my primary source of exercise and I'd do it about 30 mins a day, maybe 4 times a week and burn about 200 each time, and I saw results. I don't think it really matters how much you burn, if you're doing 60 mins of exercise that is healthy!
  • txsandra33
    txsandra33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    running burns the most calories or walking at an incline... I run briskly then run moderately changing speed and incline continually....I do this for 58 minutes and burn about 500 calories or more depending on my routine. Swimming laps will also help you trim inches incredibly fast.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have worked my way up to 55 min on the elliptical at the gym and have gone from level 5 to level 18 (as of yesterday). I also do the "random" setting, so it gives me an interval kind of workout. I burn about 700 calories in that time. It just took slowly working my level and minutes up. Unfortunately, as I lose weight, the amount I burn isn't AS much as it would have been, since I enter my weight into the machine before working out! LOL!

I also do strength training and some other things, like I went for a walk yesterday too, but didn't really count it. I figure that is an "extra" workout to surprise my body! hehe!
  • offit70
    offit70 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it's best to be doing exercise that you can fit easily into your day so that it becomes part of your long term fitness routine. I take my dogs out for a run in the morning and power walk in the evening. I always took them for walks before but now I just put in a bit more effort and do it for longer and at a faster pace.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    On a given day I only burn around 400 cals. I do 20 minutes on a stationary bike at 100 rpm, 5 mins of fast jump-rope and some strength training. Of course sometimes I do the walking thing, or play basketball or badminton, but generally its around 400. I read one post where someone said they burned 1300 in 25 minutes.... They didn't say what they were doing but that HAS to be wrong... right?
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am a swimmer and a hiker.

Swimming burns a TON of calories if you are actually swimming laps and not just playing around. It works your whole body, and the best part...you can't feel yourself sweating!! 1 hour of swimming laps usually equals 500 calories or more!!

If you do want to give swimming a try... don't forget your water bottle! Just because you are drenched in the water doesn't mean you can go without drinking any!
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I burn between 580-600 calories on my treadmill in 40 minutes daily. I log 3.2 miles in that amount of time and I vary the incline in intervals. Every other day I weight train too so that adds to my calories. I have also been bike riding since its been so nice outside. Every little bit adds up.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    High Intensity hiking does it for me. Long distances plus steep incline = crazy amounts of calories burned. Course, there are times after i finish that I have to summon great reserves of energy just to get up, but that is all a part of the fun. :laugh:

As far as 1300 calories in 25 minutes...well, that's ...uhm...improbable. The most I have ever burned was a little over 1400 hundred calories in an hour and 35 minutes or so, and that was one of the most intense workouts I have ever monitored.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I run/walk 5 miles a day, yoga, kickboxing, zumba and some weights (will increase that when the new gym opens!!!).
    :happy:
    dd
  • TwistedLiquid
    Options
    i burn about 1080 a day according to MFP sometimes i think its wrong but I workout for 2 hours a day 4 days a week. I do Cuircuit training with high intensity cardio In between excersises for 2 hours to keep that heart rate up. at the end of my workout my body simply cant take anymore. otherwise i would keep going. By the way I just barrowed DDR from a causin of my just incase I miss a day at the gym I saw it on the news that people or kids are keeping weight off this way. Its a really fun game.

For those who don't know, DDR is a dancing game for game consols like sony playstation.

this includes: warmup and cooldown
  • sonyahouse
    Options
    I workout on my dreadmill everyday for 60 min. running from 6 miles an hour to 4 an hour at an incline. then I do weights.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Bike ride for an hour--which right now means I go 10 miles. At my weight, it adds up to a little over 1000 calories an hour.
  • ToLoveMe
    ToLoveMe Posts: 16
    Options
    wow, and I thought I was working hard.LOL

The fitness game I'm doing has about 30 to 40 min areobics, then a set of crunches, and it alternates between lower body and upper body on days. I just thought with 60 min, it would be more than 230 cals. My weight is at 174 currently and I'm 5' 4". I feel like I'm getting leaner but my scale says another thing. I know I'm not suppose to watch the scale but it's gotta give sometime right?

Also, it has a lot of squats and lunges with weights, which I only have 3 lbs weights, but those feel like a lot for me, my question is...is that exercise considered strength training? Are push ups also?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    wow, and I thought I was working hard.LOL

The fitness game I'm doing has about 30 to 40 min areobics, then a set of crunches, and it alternates between lower body and upper body on days. I just thought with 60 min, it would be more than 230 cals. My weight is at 174 currently and I'm 5' 4". I feel like I'm getting leaner but my scale says another thing. I know I'm not suppose to watch the scale but it's gotta give sometime right?

Also, it has a lot of squats and lunges with weights, which I only have 3 lbs weights, but those feel like a lot for me, my question is...is that exercise considered strength training? Are push ups also?

Yes, weight training or whatever you want to enter it as. If you want to increase the calorie burn, add some jumping jacks (or whatever) between sets