CICO vs. "clean eating"

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Even eating "clean" whatever that means since different people define it differently, often in radical ways, a person can eat more calories than their body burns and put on weight. I have a friend here who was Vegan and put on her weight as a Vegan. That is about as "clean" whatever that means, as it can get, yet eat too many calories and your body will store them as fat.

I disagree wholeheartedly that Vegan is "about as 'clean'.....as it can get". There are plenty of foods that are junk and are terrible for you that are free of animal products. I also don't think that eating clean is very hard to define. You shop around the perimeter of the grocery store. Don't eat foods that come in a bag or bag or that contain ingredients that you can't pronounce. Choose sustainable fish. Choose chickens that are pastured and fed a natural NON-vegetarian diet, no antibiotics, no GMO in the feed, same goes with eggs. Look for grassfed cows. Basically, avoid buying meats from CAFO's.

Personally, I find that "eating clean" is more sustainable. Who wants to spend the rest of their lives counting calories? I sure don't. I do it now because I have to. Eating has not yet become intuitive for me, but I know if time, that it will.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow. You're welcome to come along and find me food to eat only from the perimeter of the store. Remember: no bags, no boxes, no phonetics. I'll let you pass if you are bilingual (French/English).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    They aren't comparable.

Two different things.

One is a written simplification of how human beings lose and gain weight, the other is an arbitrary way of eating.

CICO is at play 24 hours a day 365 days a year now matter how what where and when you eat.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FitOneSoon
    FitOneSoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    IMO, I think a more important question is, why aren't more people using CICO and CE together? CICO is necessary to lose weight but I think quality of food is equally important. I would think that using them together would compound success. Again, just my opinion.

As for long term, I feel that after you have done CICO for so long you start to know what is the right amount to maintain your weight. Listen to your body, and adjust portions accordingly whether you be CE or not.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    BigReg wrote: »
    Everyone has to do what works for them. I personally don't adhere much to CICO. I think the body is more complicated than given credit in some aspects, and therefore it's almost impossible to accurately calculate CICO. In other ways, the body is very simple. I eat clean and I eat when I'm hungry. It works out well for me. For others, maybe not so much.

This doesnt make sense - if one is losing weight one is eating in a calorie deficit.ie calories out are more than calories in.
    If one is maitaining weight calories out = calories in. Gaining, calories in are more than calories out.

Whether one 'adheres much to CICO' or not.

Just like one stays attached to the earth whether one adheres much to gravity or not.

I think everyone would agree it is not possible to exactly accurately calculate CICO - but that is ok. Calculate as accurately as you need to , to lose (maintain/gain as desired) - or dont calculate at all, just eat less (or same or more for desired result)

But CICO works for everyone, whether you are doing the calculations or not.

Right, just because CICO isn't an exact science, doesn't mean you aren't doing it, or you wouldn't be losing.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a more important question is, why aren't more people using CICO and CE together? CICO is necessary to lose weight but I think quality of food is equally important. I would think that using them together would compound success. Again, just my opinion.

As for long term, I feel that after you have done CICO for so long you start to know what is the right amount to maintain your weight. Listen to your body, and adjust portions accordingly whether you be CE or not.

You are using CICO no matter what. So everyone that is CE is also CICO, and that is even if they are CE, and gaining weight, it just means their CI is greater than their CO. Besides that, I'm not sure if there is proof that losing weight with a CE diet is any more beneficial to your health, or to losing weight. That and nobody has a real definition of CE.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

"Clean eating" is counter-productive for me because it results in me eliminating foods that make it easier for me to stay at my goal. Foods that either are convenient or promote my health or make it easier for me to meet fitness goals or just make me happy. And for what? I have yet to see anything that demonstrates clear benefits from eliminating these foods.

That's why I don't practice "clean eating." If people find it makes it easier for them to meet their goals and it makes them happy, that's great. But should it be a goal for everyone? No.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat dirty. :*
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Most of us here would advocate a diet rich in nutrient dense foods and probably even follow an 80/20 rule, but to different people clean eating means different things. If you look at the link I posted originally, you will get the understand.
  • FitOneSoon
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

You are using CICO no matter what. So everyone that is CE is also CICO, and that is even if they are CE, and gaining weight, it just means their CI is greater than their CO. Besides that, I'm not sure if there is proof that losing weight with a CE diet is any more beneficial to your health, or to losing weight. That and nobody has a real definition of CE.

I agree, it does all depend on what one considers CE, my vision of CE would probably differ from yours as well as others.
  • FitOneSoon
    Options

"Clean eating" is counter-productive for me because it results in me eliminating foods that make it easier for me to stay at my goal. Foods that either are convenient or promote my health or make it easier for me to meet fitness goals or just make me happy. And for what? I have yet to see anything that demonstrates clear benefits from eliminating these foods.

That's why I don't practice "clean eating." If people find it makes it easier for them to meet their goals and it makes them happy, that's great. But should it be a goal for everyone? No.

I didn't say you had to follow CE, since all of us have a different view of what CE is.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I didn't say you had to follow CE, since all of us have a different view of what CE is.

I was answering the question that you asked ("IMO, I think a more important question is, why aren't more people using CICO and CE together?") by providing my perspective on why I don't use them together.
  • FitOneSoon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Most of us here would advocate a diet rich in nutrient dense foods and probably even follow an 80/20 rule, but to different people clean eating means different things. If you look at the link I posted originally, you will get the understand.

I"m not arguing that fact. :/
  • FitOneSoon
    edited February 2017
    Options

I was answering the question that you asked ("IMO, I think a more important question is, why aren't more people using CICO and CE together?") by providing my perspective on why I don't use them together.

Out of curiosity what you would consider to be CE? For me, it would be basically raw fruit and vegetables, nuts. Nothing processed. But in the real world, for me, I wouldn't not be able to live like that for the rest of my life. lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I don't like the term mainly because it has a lot of gray areas. Would it mean the same to a vegan, paleo, LCHF, etc...? And my other issue is it doesn't guarantee that it will support ones goals. I know a lot of people who complain about not losing weight be eating clean and they don't understand it. And then they look at my diet and can't figure out why I lose 1 lb a week. Essentially, the industry (and more so bloggers/youtubers who dont' have a clue) have confused people so much, that they make it hard to lose weight. And then people fail to address the most important and basic requirement of weight loss... addressing the energy balance requirement (eating less than you burn).

When I train people, i tend to recommend small steps. And step one is always figuring out actual caloric needs.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity what you would consider to be CE? For me, it would be basically raw fruit and vegetables, nuts. Nothing processed. But in the real world, for me, I wouldn't not be able to live like that for the rest of my life. lol

As you've acknowledged, Clean Eating means something different to pretty much everyone you ask. A user has compiled an exhaustive list of all the various examples we see here on a pretty regular basis - quoting it again.
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Here's the list that @diannethegeek compiled of many definitions offered by various posters for "clean eating". Which definition are we using here? Under some of these definitions Fritos are clean, while avocados are not clean.
    Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No take-out or junk food at all.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    A plant-based whole food diet.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.
    Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    No bad carbs and processed foods.
    Anything that makes a better choice.
    Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.
    Clean eating means eating optimally.

So you are saying that to you, clean eating is basically raw foods? Not sure that's even on the list!

But again, you say "nothing processed" - that also is a subjective term. Pretty much everything that is commercially available is processed in some way - and again I would ask - why is the bag of frozen birdseye steamable grains and vegetables (clearly processed) that I just ate for lunch, something that I should eliminate from my diet?
  • FitOneSoon
    Options

I don't like the term mainly because it has a lot of gray areas. Would it mean the same to a vegan, paleo, LCHF, etc...? And my other issue is it doesn't guarantee that it will support ones goals. I know a lot of people who complain about not losing weight be eating clean and they don't understand it. And then they look at my diet and can't figure out why I lose 1 lb a week. Essentially, the industry (and more so bloggers/youtubers who dont' have a clue) have confused people so much, that they make it hard to lose weight. And then people fail to address the most important and basic requirement of weight loss... addressing the energy balance requirement (eating less than you burn).

When I train people, i tend to recommend small steps. And step one is always figuring out actual caloric needs.

I agree, as I said above in a few replies my view of CE is different then what others would consider CE. My question is more based on what we as individuals view as CE. Which looking back probably should have specified. I assumed people were on the same page as CE being what we personal believe CE to be, and not a general rule with a list.