Tips of how to fit it all in

Options
Just curious how everyone fits everything in. I have a ten month old, work full time, (and a part time job). My husband works nights so I get up with the baby and try to keep her quiet as long as possible and get her down for a nap before leaving for work. When I get home from work I make dinner and get kiddo bathed and ready for bed. By that point I'm exhausted. I really want to tone and lose weight but finding the time is a struggle. Any other busy people who have suggestions of what to do?

Replies

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I usually only fit in 2 sessions M-F of exercise, Sat & Sun I am usually busy catching up on laundry and cleaning though that's a workout in itself. It was hard for me to adapt to formal exercise only twice a week (I was 6 days a week or nothing at all type of person). But I am getting used to it now. If you do find a window try not to let excuses creep in unless its an absolute must to miss it.

I have to get up early to prepare 5 x lunches each day as well as finding the kids uniforms/library bag/dance clothes/drum sticks/afterschool snacks and we take turns making breakfast . It often means that I am going to bed not long after my kids have gone to bed.

Keeping to calories will be the key. Exercise is really for fitness/health not weight loss. It will get easier as the baby gets older so you just have to pick your battles in the meantime.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you ever watch tv to relax? Stick a few mini weights by the tv and do them as your watching. Park far from the door when you shop. Do squats when your waiting in an elevator, for the microwave, etc. Try getting 30 min in three times a week of fast walking with the stroller. I hear ya on the exhaustion! Try making mini changes at first. Calorie counting is a definite must.
  • chiantiOwl
    chiantiOwl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics at home if you can't afford a gym. your own body is as free as it gets. Costs money but I love T25 from beach body. I supplement that on the days I don't go to the gym since I only go a few days a week between class classes.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've worked two jobs whilst losing weight - the trick for me was focusing on weight loss in the kitchen, rather than the gym. I had to cook and eat regardless, so I wasn't spending any more time on that.

I've now started University part time and have totally changed my routine. Up at 6:30am, gym, work 1, work 2, study, bed. I know children limit the flexibility, but focus on what you can do. Make meals up in advance - there are a ton of families that semi-prepare meals in advance to reduce cooking effort. Calorie count and focus on losing weight by reducing your intake, not your output.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It is incredibly hard and you should not beat yourself up about, for this time at least, making your family and home life a priority.

But, you can lose weight and "be healthy" without formal exercise. Weight loss is about calories and the primary (some say best or easiest) way to manage those is by motioning and managing what you eat rather than burning tonnes off on a treadmill.

"Health" is a balance of what you eat (and the amounts) and physical activity - you can achieve the second by moving lots, whether that is formal exercise sessions or a family walk, swim, play at the park.

If you feel you want/need some of that formal exercise then I'd recommend the Fitness Blender videos (see their site or youtube) and/or Mark Lauren's You Are Your own Gym app or book.
  • afontaine15
    afontaine15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the suggestions!
  • crabbylynne
    crabbylynne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on weekly menu for one
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP @crabbylynne

You really don't need a special menu.

Start logging what you eat now.
    After a couple of weeks see where you can cut thing, have smaller portions, sub in low cal instead of high cal.
    Start working towards your nutrition goals once you are happy with your calorie intake and logging.

A food scale will help with getting your portions, and double checking entries against the USDA or the food packaging will help with accuracy.

If you have a lot of questions about what to eat you may want to start your own thread in the food forum.

Cheers, h.