Exercise and weight gain

Options
So I'm on my second week after joining a gym (starting my journey) I go 5 days a week my diet hasn't changed since before I started exercise (I starting new food lifestyle Monday) and I've put on 1 kg, is this normal when you're starting out?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can happen. It's likely water weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • silenieuxevo
    silenieuxevo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep, it can happen, it can be water weight OR it can be muscle, or even fat depending what you're drinking while at the gym and the intensity of your workouts
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yep, it can happen, it can be water weight OR it can be muscle, or even fat depending what you're drinking while at the gym and the intensity of your workouts

A pound of muscle in a WEEK from who knows what workouts? Wow. Why did I train so hard and eat in a surplus for so many months last year. Sign me up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options

No, not muscle. Not in that short a period of time. We only wish!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    OP, what happens is that when you do exercise your muscles are not used to, they have to then recover, heal and adapt (get stronger). In that process, they retain water, so you will see a temporary weight increase. It will go away once you are fully adapted to the exercise and is nothing to worry about.