Just signed up for a gym!! Feedback on my workout ideas please

The last week I've been doing the elliptical for 45 minutes on a preset interval program, then stretching/taking a break for 10 or so minutes. After that I wander around the weight machines doing arm exercises for 15 - 20 minutes.

I haven't done it very long so I can't tell if there's any results yet..But does this sound like a good place to start? I'm purposefully focusing more on cardio than on weightlifting because I want to get my stamina and overall fitness up.

The treadmill and bike aren't very appealing to me, and I do work up quite a sweat on the elliptical! I keep my heart rate at a steady 150-155 with bursts where I get it up to 170ish for 3 minutes.

The arm exercises are mostly just for some variety..Is this a good idea or need I not worry about that right now?

Any ideas/feedback on my routine is much appreciated.

Replies

• Canehdn
    Canehdn Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2017
    Definite try not to do things you don't like. That's how you resent going to the gym.

Agility ladders, jump rope, and sprints are awesome. I also recommend getting in weights for you're whole body. You can do light super sets that focus on higher reps. That can get your heart rate pretty high.

YouTube has a lot of good stuff that can help you cater your workout to your goals.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Instead of just wandering around the weight machines, consider starting a progressive program that will structure your weight training. A full body program, like stronglifts, is good because it will build strength and preserve muscle in your entire body, instead of just your arms.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Progressive lifting program, such as Stronglifts 5X5 is going to be your best friend. You can check it out and download the app at stronglifts.com. The app will track your weights, workouts and progress for you so you don't even have to think about it, just go do!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You should be following an established strength program. Doesn't have to be anything elaborate, 2-3 full body sessions a week. I'm assuming you are wanting to lose fast as well as increase your fitness, strength training goes a long way. Certainly continue your cardio, keeping up with whatever activity you enjoy. Not every cardio session has to be super intense(nor should it be)