Large loss

Options
Did you have to do anything about loose skin or did it all just tone up on its own

Replies

• Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not all the way at the end of my planned loss yet, but I have some loose skin and I expect I'll have some more.

It depends on a number of things... your skin elasticity, existing stretch marks, activity level, time you were bigger, your frame, how much you've lost, age, etc etc etc. It's difficult to predict what will happen with that.

I'm 22, 5'3 and had a BMI of 39 (now 28). I'd been obese since my early teens. I smoke & neglected my diet and water intake for years so my skin elasticity isn't great and I'm quite stripey across the midsection. I've lost over 60lbs so far (50-ish to go, plus whatever lean mass I can build by then... I watch my body fat percentage like a hawk and that'll be how I monitor that) almost entirely through diet - I only started properly exercising very recently because I'm aware I'm going to look a bit... melted at the end.

As I said, I do have some loose skin. I'm not entirely sure that exercise will 100% fix it - but it will help. I'm definitely always going to have the stretch marks - the damage has been done, unfortunately. Strength training will be the only thing I can do about the skin - bar expensive surgery that would leave me with a slew of new scars and marks. I only started the training recently so I can't comment much on its effect - although I have lost inches off my everything.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is "it depends."

I've lost over 100 lbs and am still going (10 more to go?). I'm 46 yo. At some point, I remember being bummed that my neck looked old (wrinkly), and that's gone away. My arms were wrinkly with loose skin, too. And now that seems to be changing too. I'm embarrassed by my legs (going to wear longer shorts at my physical therapy appts), but my guess is those can change too.

Everybody is different, but hopefully my experience helps in some way.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It depends. I haven't done anything about mine yet and it hasn't tightened either.

This is about 127 lbs lost (I lost 138 lbs, but regained a little of that weight/it was thinner at my lightest.)
    7ktaalxrz04w.jpg

Bottom left is Halloween (showing I can kind of hide my loose skin)

Bottom right and top are December
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!