want to start cycling help?

Options
Hiya!
I've always loved to cycle more than running. However I'm looking to get back into it but actually start training for the Glasgow to Edinbrugh cycle network that happens every Autumn. I was wondering if anyone uses an app for their workout and how they do it? How long for etc plus what type of bike you use in the gym? I'll buy one next month but right now I've not got enough money but I do want to start.
Thank you!!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,963 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1) I have a collection of bicycles I use on the road ... and one I put on a trainer in my basement for bad weather cycling. What I use depends on the distance and terrain I'm tackling that day.

2) How long will depend on you. Start with what you can do, and gradually build up.

3) App = Strava

And you can also check out the Challenges forum here.: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10510343/february-2017-biking-cycling-bicycling-challenge#latest
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The Glasgow to Edinburgh route is fairly flat so is do-able on pretty much any bike if you take it slow. It's more suited to either a proper road bike or a reasonably light hybrid though - it'd be harder work on a mountain bike with knobbly tyres. If road cycling is what you're interested, including maybe joining a club at some point, then it might be worth looking at a road bike - Decathlon do some great value entry level bikes, as does Boardman (sold via Halfords).

Like the previous poster I also use Strava mainly although I don't use the phone app to log rides (although many do) - I use a Garmin device to record my rides and upload from that.

I don't really use gym bikes much - instead I use a road bike on a turbo trainer - however if you're starting out anything that gets you pedaling is going to be a good start. You might also want to check and see if your gym does spinning classes, as that'd be good training.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The go to app for cyclist is probably strava. Sign up...it's free...and you will automatically be linked in to a huge community of cyclists near and far.

You can go onto YouTube and search cycling workouts....tons of stuff will come up. I'd suggest working on your core, back and legs.