Best fitness tracker for "other" (not just steps)

Options

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That is simply crazy. I'm in the 160s and I get like 800 for those numbers
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Do you use a screen protector on your devices? Another thing to agonise about! :D
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That is simply crazy. I'm in the 160s and I get like 800 for those numbers

Well, my numbers are tested, I eat pretty much all exercise back, including days I do get a reasonable amount of walking in and I lose exactly as I should. 800 seems crazy to me!

Edit: That said, this may have been after Garmin changed their formula and before I adjusted my settings to allow for it, so maybe I could have got more but i don't think it would be as high as 800. I'll find out in April!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Do you use a screen protector on your devices? Another thing to agonise about! :D

I don't and my screen doesn't have any scratches!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Just bought a Vivofit 3 garmin, waterproof yay

was wondering how to get it to register activity. I set the timer and stop when finished etc but it never shows up when scrolling through the screens - do I need a HRM band thingy?

Also doesn't seem to want to sync to my computer but have yet to try the reinstalling fix

All in all, I like it, but not sure I will keep it - seems to be similar reads to MFP. tells me I burn 500cals sleeping?? average 2000 burnt a day with swimming and squash and general walking and work etc
  • mazdauk
    Options
    OK I've ordered a Vivofit 3 plus a pack of 10 replacement bands in funky colours! happy birthday me (next week). B)
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

was wondering how to get it to register activity. I set the timer and stop when finished etc but it never shows up when scrolling through the screens - do I need a HRM band thingy?

Also doesn't seem to want to sync to my computer but have yet to try the reinstalling fix

All in all, I like it, but not sure I will keep it - seems to be similar reads to MFP. tells me I burn 500cals sleeping?? average 2000 burnt a day with swimming and squash and general walking and work etc

I'm not sure on the exercise thing, I've always used a chest strap with my trackers. I don't know how the band would know how much effort you're exerting without a HRM.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

I'm not sure on the exercise thing, I've always used a chest strap with my trackers. I don't know how the band would know how much effort you're exerting without a HRM.

it says it has something called 'intensity minutes' which is what you start and stop with the timer. meh, not too fussed
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    2Luverly wrote: »
    I love my Garmin vivoactive HR. I must say it has been the best Christmas gift my husband has ever purchased for me. I love using the Garmin Connect app and how my activities and steps link with MFP. You can even shower and SWIM with this baby on!

This!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    FYI - I had the Polar with the chest strap and found it way overestimated calories burned. With the Polar, a 45 minute cycle class would burn 1100 calories. With the Garmin, that same class burns about 300.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    FYI - I had the Polar with the chest strap and found it way overestimated calories burned. With the Polar, a 45 minute cycle class would burn 1100 calories. With the Garmin, that same class burns about 300.

My burns with Garmin have always been spot on. On my Vivoactive you can download apps for specific exercise, I have GymTimer for my HIIT and strength training. Eat all those calories. Lose exactly as I should. I look at other brands now and again but I don't know if I could ever give up Garmin!
  • jmcloy888
    jmcloy888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex (no issues yet with wristband) for my daily activities and then I wear the Bluetooth Polar H7 chest strap/heart rate monitor which I pair with the iCardio app for my actual workouts. Been using both for several years and find their estimation to be spot on for me. If you are looking to just tracking your workouts I would recommend the Polar H7 paired with an app (you can see what works with your phone) - the H7 is only about $70 and then the iCardio app for the upgraded app that can track sensors was a one time fee of like $5...good luck!

I am also trying to decide what fitness tracker I want. I have been researching for a couple days and I am making myself crazy! I LOVE Polar because I have always had success with my FT7 and the chest strap. So I was looking at the A300 or the M200. But they look SO big compared to the Fitbit Charge 2 or Fitbit Blaze. But with what you said, it sounds like I can get the best of both words. For the iCardio app, do you use the free one, iCardio Workout Tracker & Heart Rate Trainer by iTMP Technology? And just purchase the update that tracks sensors? Thanks!
  • pdchemist15
    pdchemist15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a Garmin vivoactive HR (VHR). They are a little pricey but you can use it for multiple exercises such as weightlifting, swimming, cycling, running and a many more. All of these exercises will prvide you with an approximate calorie expenditure. Outside of going into the lab nothing is going to give totally accurate absolute calorie expenditure. Firstly, yes the VHR is a little big for females. However there are plenty of females that wear them. Meandering is correct with their analysis, the devices base calorie counts on calculated differences of your heart rates during rest and activities. To do something like zumba you would select the cardio app on the VHR press start when you begin and it will measure your steps, hr, and calories expenditure. The VHR in my open is best worn tight when exercising. Also you must remember to input your correct settings, height, age etc. One final note be aware with Garmin Connect that your total calorie burn , will be your total exercise calorie expenditure + your calculated BMR. So if you start an exercise and stand there for 30 minutes your calorie burn will be like 5, but if you run for the 30 minutes, it will be like 50+ 5= 55. Those are just arbitrary values everyone's calorie counts would be different.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've lost, gained and maintained exactly as I should by using my Fitbit (first a flex, now a blaze.) They have both worked great besides the band issue (definitely doesn't hold up too well.) I think that when it comes time to replace the blaze I will try a Garmin just to change it up but I have nothing but love for my fitbit. it is a good tool for a casual user, helps with motivation and is probably the widest used device and therefore the best for the social aspects of the app (challenges, pokes etc.) Ignore the negative nancies who poo poo all trackers. You do you!
  • mazdauk
    Options
    OK I want mine NOW! Should I download the garmin app first or wait til it arrives? And should I do it on my windows phone and on the (android) tablet, or one first, or only one? The questions just never end, do they? :p
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    OK I want mine NOW! Should I download the garmin app first or wait til it arrives? And should I do it on my windows phone and on the (android) tablet, or one first, or only one? The questions just never end, do they? :p

You could download and get started with inputting your stats and adjusting the activity level (I recommend low, say 2, so it marries up nicely with MFP adjustments wise).

Not sure which device would be better as I'm an Apple user and have it on my phone because that's what I use for MFP.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    I use both for MFP, plus work PC sometimes! Day off tomorrow so might have a play around on the tablet.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    I've lost, gained and maintained exactly as I should by using my Fitbit (first a flex, now a blaze.) They have both worked great besides the band issue (definitely doesn't hold up too well.) I think that when it comes time to replace the blaze I will try a Garmin just to change it up but I have nothing but love for my fitbit. it is a good tool for a casual user, helps with motivation and is probably the widest used device and therefore the best for the social aspects of the app (challenges, pokes etc.) Ignore the negative nancies who poo poo all trackers. You do you!

I also have lost with fitbit and so have many others...i like the idea of a strap -- guess i'll take it into consideration
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have a series 1 Apple Watch and love it. It's really been a perfect match for me.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a refurbished Garmin Vivosmart HR. Love it. The only evidence of being "refurbished" was the box it came in. It included everything and looked brand new.