Can you never eat another hot dog?

Options
I am thinking about eliminating hot dogs from my so-called healthy eating habits (I know, hot dogs aren't healthy in the least). The problem is, I love grilled hot dogs in the summer and don't have them very often throughout the rest of the year. I've tried a few vegetarian substitues, but no taste or flavor drove me straight back to the piggy trough. I'd like to know could you never eat another hot dog and if so, did you replace it with something else or just never looked back......?

Replies

• Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Though I try to make healthy choices, I eat anything I want within my daily caloric limit.

Enjoy a hot dog now and then!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't have to make that choice. It isn't poison, just not very healthy.

I'm taking the "all things in moderation" approach and have had good luck so far. My weight loss has been a bit slower than some but I've had pretty steady progress over the past 10 months or so. I'd like to shave a little over 5 pounds off still but if I don't it's not that big of a deal to me.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I like an occasional turkey dog - but it has to be Oscar Meyer. The others I have tried are really bad!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat meat and wanted a healthier alternative, I started eating Butterball turkey dogs. They were SO GOOD! Now I eat Sanitarium veggie dogs and they taste so much like the real thing, it's hard to believe they're not made of meat. And of course much better for you. While the processed food and sugar-filled condiments you eat them with aren't ideal, there always needs to be a bit of wiggle room in your diet for those delicious tastes you love.
  • countrygirlsoul
    Options
    Have you tried chicken or turkey dogs? I myself really like chicken dogs, I don't find a huge taste difference and they bbq very well.
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mystery meat!!!! EWWWW!!!!! Every time I look at one I just think of how many hundreds of different animal parts are in those things, not to mention all the nitrates and other nastiness. They're just not good for you...
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've ever had a real intense desire for hot dogs but I've gone mostly vegan now so it's not a huge issue for me.

Something that I really like in the same way you really like hot dogs is chocolate...and if dark chocolate was really bad for you (which thank goodness it's not!) I wouldn't bother eating a replacement, I would just try only have it now and then :)

Eating healthier alternatives to foods you could take or leave works well, but it seems like trying to replace a food that you absolutely love with a sub-par rendition of it is unsatisfying and wasted calories.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I only eat 100% Beef hotdogs and I found some at my local market that are fresh made with no nitrates and chemical preservatives.

Draw back to getting preservative free hot dogs are they go bad really, really fast and they are a bit pricier............but well worth the money...........
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I really like the Gwaltney chicken dogs. That's all I ever buy!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation!...anything at all! :flowerforyou:

They sell 5% fat sausages here in the UK and they are gorgeous! I had a hot dog a few weeks back but couldn't handle the bread...too much for me! :flowerforyou:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I get the 98% fat free turkey dogs by ocsar myer. 40 calories a link and very good.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Try Boar's Head brand. They're made of more quality meat with little to no preservatives.

It's not that it's "mystery meat" - if it's labelled 100% beef, well then, damn skippy, that's what it is.

Am I the only one NOT bothered by the thought of eating a cow's brains or tongue?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Try Boar's Head brand. They're made of more quality meat with little to no preservatives.

It's not that it's "mystery meat" - if it's labelled 100% beef, well then, damn skippy, that's what it is.

Am I the only one NOT bothered by the thought of eating a cow's brains or tongue?

No, I am not bothered with it either...................

But we are fellow Primal Blue Printers, LOL
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but my husband does. I buy buffalo hotdogs from Costco. Buffalo is naturally lower in fat, and I believe they don't use nitrates. They are free range by law (wish cows got that same privilege!). I will eat soy dogs, which after awhile, taste like the real thing, especially with mustard, ketchup and relish :tongue: But like a lot of people have been saying...everything in moderation.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I cant not eat hot dogs. I live in Chicago.
    At least theyre all beef here and are totally delicious.

As much as Id love to try to give up Chicago foods, I never will.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I buy all natural preservative free beef reduced fat hot dogs from Hebrew National (110 cals). As long as you're only eating one once in a while, no harm done!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything in moderation.

I personally can't stand hotdogs though... I can not think of a more disgusting taste or texture :tongue: I guess everyone has some foods that they hate!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Try a Hebrew National. :happy:
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have never and will never cut anything out of my diet. I will eat oreos, hot dogs, cheese dip, etc, etc for the rest of my life...unless I decide that I don't like them anymore!

I just don't let myself have them very often or in very large quantities. It's all about balance. If you tell yourself that you will never have another hot dog again, you'll end up eating 5 hotdogs in one crazy lapse of control!!

I say eat the mystery meat if you like it!! I don't care what it is, I just care how it tastes. :smile:
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I’ll probably never have an issue with hot dogs, the last time I ate one I was 9 years old. I was so grossed out by what’s in them that I never had one again. My husband refuses to eat hot dogs or sausages too, but that’s because he has had to make some (and this was at a 5 star French restaurant).
    To test yourself you should actually make one. If after making them you still want to eat them, then you’ll never stop craving them, otherwise it’ll be that much easier of a choice at any BBQ.