I just ate a salad

Options
jbeth30
jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
Just a few days ago I commented on a post and it was about what you don't think you'll eat again for a while because it's considered "diet "food. I said salad. How surprising it was for me today when I decided that I wanted a huge salad. This is a first time in a very long time that I ate salad not because I felt like I needed to because of a diet but because I actually wanted to! This is exciting to me. I can officially take salad out of the diet category now. I can now eat it for enjoyment because I want it not because I feel like I have to eat it. This is a success for me because I have had trouble with labeling foods.

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    LOl - Salad is a treat for me... but then, it has never been diet food for me.... It's not a proper salad unless it is loaded with every veggie under the sun and a bunch of cheeeeeeeessssseeeee.

Glad you can eat the stuff again with out any stigma!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I avoid salad because it's just too much trouble to weigh all the little bits. Of course, then I really CRAVE a salad and must have one. For example, tonight I am making a BBQ chicken salad. Very excited about this.
  • jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Now that I am also trying to break free of food labels/categories, this strikes me as a very powerful realization. I never consciously thought about putting a nutrient dense food on the back shelf because I don't have to only eat "diet" foods, but then adding them back in because I actually find I miss them! Thanks for posting this...I feel like I'll be mulling it over for a while! :)
  • tea804
    tea804 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Salads can be 50/50 they are delicious but i was finding myself adding too much stuff on it lol i cut off the ranch dressing and alot of toppings lol i like spinach now better than iceburg lettuce
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    jbeth30 wrote: »
    Just a few days ago I commented on a post and it was about what you don't think you'll eat again for a while because it's considered "diet "food. I said salad. How surprising it was for me today when I decided that I wanted a huge salad. This is a first time in a very long time that I ate salad not because I felt like I needed to because of a diet but because I actually wanted to! This is exciting to me. I can officially take salad out of the diet category now. I can now eat it for enjoyment because I want it not because I feel like I have to eat it. This is a success for me because I have had trouble with labeling foods.

I totally get that. Sometimes I laugh at myself when I actually crave salads. I used to be so perplexed when people said that they wanted a salad. I have morphed into one of those salads. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles on my salad to enjoy it so I can eat lots of it if I want.
  • lay011
    lay011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Yes to this! I literally was just having the same revelation myself! I have been eating mixed greens with tomatoes, chicken and whatever else I have on hand with a balsamic vinaigrette I made myself and I literally can't even wrap my head how something so simple could be so delicious and why I never realized it before! I do think that it being a "diet food" has a lot to do with it though. I am 30 and my mom put me on my first diet when I was less than 10 years old. People had been shoving salads down my throat (metaphorically) for the last 20 years and you can get really stubborn about not wanting it. Now, I have a really awesome husband who says eat whatever you want its your body. Its reverse psychology...all of a sudden I realize I like the salad and I want the salad.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. But now I get hankering for salads pretty often.

My salads are not "diet" at all though lol. I can get mine up to 600 calories or so. Beans, flaxseeds, avocado, cheese in a mixing bowl:).

Also @tea804 have you tried Bolthouse classic ranch dressing? 45 cal for 2 tablespoons and it honestly tastes pretty good!
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yay for salad!!! I haven't wanted another one in the last couple of days but I have a feeling I will be wanting it again soon. It's amazing how our bodies really work. If you listen to what you really want and you take off all the labels from foods you really get to realize that your body does take care of itself if you just listen to it. I really like iceberg lettuce but many years ago I took it off of my list because it wasn't "nutritious "enough to put in a salad anymore. Isn't that sad?I especially love taco salad with the iceberg lettuce in it. My husband and I used to complain when we would go to fast food places an order salad and it was just mostly iceberg lettuce. What salad snobs we were! It's time to buy some iceberg lettuce for my salad now… And maybe tortilla chips… And yummy taco meat… And cheese and salsa and jalapeño peppers.Yumum
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yay for salad!!! I haven't wanted another one in the last couple of days but I have a feeling I will be wanting it again soon. It's amazing how our bodies really work. If you listen to what you really want and you take off all the labels from foods you really get to realize that your body does take care of itself if you just listen to it. I really like iceberg lettuce but many years ago I took it off of my list because it wasn't "nutritious "enough to put in a salad anymore. Isn't that sad?I especially love taco salad with the iceberg lettuce in it. My husband and I used to complain when we would go to fast food places an order salad and it was just mostly iceberg lettuce. What salad snobs we were! It's time to buy some iceberg lettuce for my salad now… And maybe tortilla chips… And yummy taco meat… And cheese and salsa and jalapeño peppers.Yumum

Taco salad is amazing, ESPECIALLY with iceberg lettuce!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like salads! But sometimes I get tired of them if I don't change them up. Next week I am doing a cranberry pecan salad to change it up!!
  • softravels
    softravels Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate to you on this one! The past couple of weeks I've been introducing salads to my "diet", after not eating them for years and really hating them, yet reading your post literally made my mouth water at the prospect of eating a salad.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm quietly digesting lunch, while a cat purrs on my arm, forcing me to type this one-handed, but I had to contribute my salad today:

Mixed greens, chopped up to bite size
    Roasted butternut squash slices, combined hot with the greens for a little wilting and melding
    Unsalted roasted cashews
    Dates, pitted, sliced.
    Balsamic vinegar
    A scattering of my first helping of grains of paradise, crushed (very nice!)

Together with an omelet combining roasted sweet potato and onion, seasoned with the grains of paradise (also very nice here!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!