Sick of being sick!

Options
It has been almost two months since I have worked out. My 3 year old came down with the stomach flu and then I got it, took about two weeks to bounce back. Then she came down with a nasty cold which I then picked up. Now I feel like the cold has left but has moved to my chest. I have been doing everything, humidifiers, vitamin C, rest, etc. Doc said it was viral so no need for antibiotics. For the past few days I have just done some light walking for 40 min on my tredmill and I hope I am not doing more harm....but it seems to relieve some congestion. I have managed to lose 7 pounds and pretty sure it is all muscle. Anyone else out weeks for a time from exercise and how hard was it to get back? I'm so eager to get my exercise back, but I know I still need rest.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I had the stomach flu for two weeks as well it was brutal. And unfortunately, getting back to my normal workout routine was a real struggle. I made matters worse by trying to ramp up to my pre-stomach flu level too quickly, and it totally set me back several days.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I had a cold last month that kept me away from the gym for 2 weeks because I was so congested. Once I got over that I went back to the gym and was doing pretty much the same as I had been before I got sick. Then this month I've been just feeling "off". There's a stomach bug going around and I keep thinking I'm getting it but then I feel better but never better enough to want to go workout. I have managed to go to the gym once a week for the past two weeks and I did a 10 mile bike ride Sunday. That's about all I've had the energy for :(
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Had something similar go through our house. Three weeks of illness, and I am not sure I am completely over it yet. I feel pretty good, so I am getting back into exercise, but there are times where it seems to come back, albeit, not as intensely.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not all muscle that you have lost...
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I thought for sure once the worst of this cold went through me I would start to feel better now I am stuck with congestion and just feeling unwell. We leave for Mexico in three days so I am crossing my fingers that things turn a corner soon!
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sympathies and condolences! I had what the doc called a "stomach virus” two different times and both were violent physical experiences with extreme dehydration, inability to hold down any liquids (much less solids) and loss of 8-9 pounds in 5-6 days. Not pleasant experiences or fond memories. Thankfully, the more recent episode was >7 years ago. Hope this all moves into the “fading memories” category for you soon.